FMF Pipe ID ???

Got questions? We got answers....
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

FMF Pipe ID ???

Post by Rjcapt »

Long time listener, first time caller here....

I just picked up my second H model KDX. I am going the hybrid route with this one and it came with an FMF Gnarly pipe on it. I can't find any markings on it to tell me which model (woods or desert). Any way to be sure? I have a Platinum PCII on my other bike and this one has a much smaller chamber, so I'm thinking it's the woods pipe, I just want to be sure.

On a side note, it doesn't fit well at all and rubs everywhere. I don't mind cutting and bending it a little for the hybrid, I just want to make sure I'm starting with. Thanks.

Pete[/i]
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Is it a Woods or a Desert FMF pipe?

Post by Deseret Rider »

Pete, That the same situation I had recently. My son recently purchased a new FMF 'Woods" pipe from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC and it came bright and shiny but with no 'Woods' or "Desert' marking on it. Rocky Mountain has a 'Chat' ---click on it and ask for information----then please get on the forum here and let us know what they tell you and how to 'identify' a 'Woods' pipe from a Desert pipe. I'm sure there are some of us that still don't know.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/

OH---and yes our pipe didn't fit as easily and the stocker but if you get it lined up 'just right' with the exhaust outlet on the head---and then just 'bump' it easily---it will 'snap' in place. then you can install the springs and go on to line up your mounting pieces which should be no problem.
Last edited by Deseret Rider on 03:50 pm Dec 27 2011, edited 1 time in total.
The Duck of Deseret (Deseret was Utah's first name)
babel47470

Post by babel47470 »

Hey Fellas! I recently read that the "rev" or "Desert" will measure about 14"
at the fat part & the "woods" will measure about 11".
Hope this is helpful.
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

You can tell by the number on the top mount. Off the top of my head, I believe if the last two digits is 256 then it is the desert version. The smaller chamber is the woods pipe. It might be easier to fit on the hybrid.
When I did my hybrid, I had to bend it at the head pipe and the stinger. I found that an old set of handlebars made a good tool for that purpose. It still is really close to rubbing on the radiator.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

Post by Rjcapt »

Thanks for all the help. I will blast it clean and see if I can find any kind of part number. So far, I've found nothing. I will measure the chamber diameter when I get home on fri.

This thing didn't even come close to the factory mounting points. It was held on just by the springs and silencer. I'm not even sure it's the correct pipe for the bike, based on the overall condition of the bike, that wouldn't suprise me at all.... I was only comfortable riding a half loop around the back yard. The front brake was completely MIA, the clutch lever perch was broken in half, the shift lever was only engaging half the shaft and the pipe rattled so much, I thought it might come apart. Yes the PO rode it like that....

That and the airbox was completely full from some sort of critter who apparently called it "home".....

BUT, the frame has a title and it cost less than the engines I found on eBay.

Thanks again and I'll try Rocky Mountain for as long as my patience can handle the "help chat line". I REALLY hate those things....