1st bike

Got questions? We got answers....
Cha Ching

1st bike

Post by Cha Ching »

I got my 1st bike yesterday, a 2001 KDX 200. Only mods i know of are a Gnarly pipe. The bike does have a tall "CEET", which is nice, cuz i am 6'2". I don't wanna do any engine mods, for now, just wanna ride and learn the bike. My main issue is sag, the rider i bought it from was 40 lbs lighter than me, so the bike sags alot under my weight.

I have watched some video of this adjustment, and it seems easy enough. Just wanted to see if anyone had some good tips before i try it. Any help would be appreciated, i haven't worked on bikes much, if any.
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

Welcome to the forum! :grin:

First thing your going to have to determine is if it's got the correct springs on it (front and rear). If it's got the stock springs on it still, and you weigh over 180lbs, I'd say you'll need to change both ends for stiffer ones (especially the front which is sprung for around 150lbs, vs the rear for 180lbs). Race Tech.. http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/1/Kaw ... DX200/2001 .. would be a good place to start in determining what you need.
Get it sprung properly, then you can move along to setting the sag. Great bikes the KDX, your going to have a blast with it.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
Cha Ching

Post by Cha Ching »

Thank you sir. I think my best bet is going to be taking it to a local suspension guru. I am lucky to know of just the guy in my area.

I am going to ride it a bit tomorrow, i will report back about its feel. I have only ridden it up and down a driveway and my street once. It is killing me!! :twisted:
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Welcome! The KDX is my first dirt bike too. I got mine about a year and a half ago. Hillbilly is right. I think you're going to love it. You're lucky to have a good suspension guy close by.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
KDX Butterfly
Queen B
Queen B

Post by KDX Butterfly »

KDX Lowered for a chick ... my first bike.

Welcome to the site!!!

and ... Merry Christmas!!!
"If I were just two inches taller, I wouldn't be me." ~KDX Butterfly
Cha Ching

Post by Cha Ching »

I got the KDX out for a short ride yesterday and i had a blast! I will def be taking it to the suspension man asap. More than likely, after a few more rides!! :supz: :lol:
david

Post by david »

I wish I had found the KDX back in the early '90s, instead of the CR480 that I broke both wrists, a hand, and my sternum on, in one fateful mistake. The woods is where I love to be.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki