Sleeved cylinder and KIPS

Got questions? We got answers....
kawabunga

Sleeved cylinder and KIPS

Post by kawabunga »

While tearing down my E model, I stumbled across something that may apply to a few of you.
Upon removing the head, I discovered a sleeve,- groovy,I thought -cheap rebuild. Then I attempted to remove the kips valves. Two days later, intermittently spraying various solvents, I was able to remove the center one. The left one was free, but but not removable yet.I could not move the shaft - the idler and right valve would not budge. Three days of carb cleaner and gentle persuasion later I decided to pry out the shaft bushing. I was now able to remove the shaft, and left valve.
bending a couple 1/8" screwdrivers into mini pry bars, I was able to get under both sides of the idler gear. through the bushing hole,
and this should've worked.
But no dice.
Frustrated, I tried a small channellock plier on the idler gear, and broke it.
Now I attempted to lift the right valve out. But no luck. Chipped a tooth on the gear. Now the valve was stuck in the bottom of the hole. I knew by looking at the other valve, that I could drill the center out till I hit the valve cut-away,and lift it out with a home made mini-slidehammer. After spraying more solvent through the hole, I was able to remove the valve.
I cleaned up the spooge and tested the valves fit, and find that if installed, that it would still bind . The spooge wasn't all that bad.
So I got to thinking about the sleeves close proximity to the valve.I then measured the I.D. of the KIPS well,and found it slightly egg-shaped. My thinking is that when Sleeve was installed, that the installer may have overdone the interference fit and distorted the kips.
If I re-use this jug, I may try and clearance the well with a brake hone.
Any ideas?
reviving old war-horse.
kawabunga

Post by kawabunga »

Sorry for the dual post. I thought it didn't go through.
Have since readjusted my GMT.
reviving old war-horse.