Water pump ??????

Got questions? We got answers....
THill

Water pump ??????

Post by THill »

Ok , my first time into a KDX water pump, thought a simple seal , o rings and a new gasket should do it ,easy ....wrong !!!

Well after getting to cover off I seen the , as they call it ( Mechanical seal )
the one with the white part,no problem with that..the problem is with the second seal thats part of the metal cup ..The rubber just fell out but I need to get the metal piece out now and replace it all...How does that come out ?

The manual doesn't help out a whole lot on this ...

Thanks for any info.........T Hill
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
david

Post by david »

The metal cup is pressed in. The rubber and carbon piece that fell out is supposed to be glued in. I haven't done one in the later KDX, my '90 has a double lip seal, like a mini fork seal. But I have done the mechanical seal in my Honda (and many electric, engine driven, and hydraulic water pumps when I worked for a pump company) and because the case has to be split on the Honda, it is common practice to gently heat the cup of the new seal with a lighter and remove the new rubber/carbon seal, then re-glue it into the old seal cup with a quality RTV silicone. If you can pull the right side engine cover off, you would drive the seal cup out from the inside, then press in the new one.

Just a tip, if the old rubber/carbon looks to be in good shape, glue it back in and put it all back together as that is why you have a water leak. What ever you decide to do, be careful with the seals as the carbon piece (smooth black part of the seal) is very brittle and easy to crack.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
THill

Post by THill »

Thanks David for the info...This thing has parts the books or diagrams doesn't show..One was the little o ring behind the impeller , second was the seal thats behind the metal cup that I can't get out..I already have the case side off and tried to knock the cup out and only drove my small punch threw it....Good idea tho is maybe put a little heat around it to see if that might help loosen it up......
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
david

Post by david »

You may need to put the engine cover in the oven at 250* to get it to swell and help release the cup. And since you have already punched a hole in it, you can destroy it in order to get it out.

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_se ... fveh=24855

I have always found it helpful to look at the parts fiche to see what is/should be in there before I open up a new project. This one is from Service Honda, it is easy to use and they have real good prices.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
THill

Post by THill »

Finally!!!! got that sucker out .......
Used my heat gun and heated the case around the seal up pretty good when just a few taps it came right out...OK, now installing the new one... I lucked up big time on this..
Put the rubber seal in with a deep well socket ,no problem but getting the metal cup seal in didn't look good...couldn't find a socket or any kind of driver that would fit the cup and go down in the case to sit it...I just happen to look in my old small engine seal driving set I had from YEARS back and the main driver used to attach the tools to fit right down ( inside )the new seal and had a flange on it that came out enough to barely catch the metal , heated up the case again,put the seal/metal cup on the driver and tapped it right in place :lol: .........
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
david

Post by david »

Good job. :partyman:
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
THill

Post by THill »

Thank you !!!
AND to top it all off I didn't tear up the gasket that was stuck on the case !
Now I hope the rest of this project goes together better...New clutch plates going in along with some new rings , change fork oil & maybe add a new rear tire , ride the crap out of it for a couple days to be sure ever thing is working right , clean it up and then sell her to someone wanting a good KDX 220 ready to ride....
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
david

Post by david »

My water pump seal and clutch rod seal should be in next week. Bike is apart in the garage, patiently waiting. Then after I recover from Christmas (three kids) I will be ordering a new rear fender so she doesn't look quite so ragged.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki