Oh NO! Have I really messed up or ?

Got questions? We got answers....
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Oh NO! Have I really messed up or ?

Post by Deseret Rider »

I've just finished a top end job on my KDX 220.--- and then noticed that the gasket kit contained two small thick rubber 'seals' that didn't get used???? I didn't see anything similar when taking it apart but the old head gasket shows some dark markings as if there might have been some 'seals of about that size. These would be between the head the the cylinder---I think maybe in the area where the to Kips things protrude up out of the cylinder. I did not see any gaskets or seals in that area when I took the head off the cylinder (on the bench) and think I'd have noticed them if they had been there. Additionally, I don't see any seals to be in there looking at a parts fische picture ?

Still I have that sick feeling that I've left something out and now coolant will be leaking from between the head and cylinder---or worse, into the cylinder and cases themselves? I haven't tried to start the bike yet--but have filled the radiators with coolant---

Can anybody set my mind at ease----there isn't a problem? Or Should I plan on taking it down again to install those seal looking things ----I don't know where else they might go
The Duck of Deseret (Deseret was Utah's first name)
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

I'm pretty sure they go on the head pipe where it goes into the cylinder. You should be good to go!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

no I think he's talking about 2 rather thick "seals" with kind of a groove on one side? They are about the same size of the aluminum cylinder that goes on the kips valve like he describes (92143). These seals (92049) go on the cylinder for the main valve shaft (13107) I believe, not a big deal if you didn't replace them.
look up the fiche u'll see what I mean.
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Deseret Rider »

Phew! Yes I am much relieved to see that these seals are no doubt the 92049 seals---- I did not get into the Kips this time around as it was clean and oily and working smoothly when operated manually----Thanks Scheckaet and Jbowens for you immediate help-----Sick feeling removed---
K D

Post by K D »

What brand gasket kit did you use,the Cometic kit I bought didn't come with those.
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

my gasket kit didnt either (cosmetic), that's why i assumed they were the exhaust oring gaskets.
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

My Moose gasket kit came with them, but I missed them on the re-assembly too. The originals didn't come out, so I didn't think much about them until a bit later and went looking to see what they actually were. They are oil seals for the main shaft, and looks like they can be put in at any time without too much trouble.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Deseret Rider »

The gasket kit is from Tusk --Their part number 810445 and was purchased from Rocky Mountain Sports in Payson, Utah. See here:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/vehic ... tDetail.do

Tusk is an ISO 9001 company----and the kit is complete with everything I'd need including the o-rings and the brass washer for the headpipe. And of course, the Kips shaft seals and covers gaskets
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Deseret Rider »

You may have to cut and paste the link---I tried clicking on it and got nowhere ----or simply google up Rocky Mountain Sports in Payson, Utah-----and search "top end gaskets" for the model you choose.
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

>|<>QBB<
Deseret Rider wrote:The gasket kit is from Tusk --Their part number 810445 and was purchased from Rocky Mountain Sports in Payson, Utah. See here:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/vehic ... tDetail.do

Tusk is an ISO 9001 company----and the kit is complete with everything I'd need including the o-rings and the brass washer for the headpipe. And of course, the Kips shaft seals and covers gaskets

RM Tusk gasket set link... http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/produ ... ilyId=3146
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness