Magura clutch

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXer
Supporting Member

Magura clutch

Post by KDXer »

I have been offered a second hand clutch master cylinder for $60au. Is that a reasonable price ?? I am hoping to track down and purchase a clutch assem. of ebay. It will be sent to EFM to be modified and picked up on my Memorial Day visit.

Anyway I'm wondering if Magura clutch is whats needed for the rear brake conversion ??

What else is needed ?? Brake line of course but what length / connectors etc ??

Thanks in advance Ski.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes...that's a hell of a deal... $200 US for that puppy! :wink:

So Aussie...that's like .50 cents right? :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Close, $200us is about 26,000 cents au !! :shock: :lol:

Cheers Vince I told him its SOLD...... to me.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

What do you need the clutch master cylinder for if you are going to get a EFM clutch job?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

he kinda says he wants to hook his rear brake to it. Won't that work?
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Same setup you got Ski....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Now you got me scared Ski !! :shock: Isn't that what you are using for the rear brake setup.

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

This is what you bought right KD?

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Not sure haven't received it as yet.

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The Magura clutch master cylinder normally uses their own oil and not DOT brake fluid. I've even checked their website and can not find the unit Inda posted a photo of mine. It might pay to ask Garry at EFM where he gets it from and a part # he orders from Magura with. If the one you get lists on the cover to only use their special oil, realize that it is just a scented mineral oil and the seals will not work with brake fluid. Likewise, mineral oil will not work to operate your caliper correctly.

I wish you luck if you already paid for this.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have read that Mineral oil is a great alternative to DOT Brake fluid. Mineral oil is not caustic and is non-toxic, but the main performance advantage to the rider is that mineral oil will not absorb water from the air like DOT fluid will. This absorbed water causes gas bubbles to form in the system which creates a 'sprongy' feel.

I really don't see why it wouldn't work for the rear brake as long as the line is new and you clean the caliper really well before switch types, it just pushes on a bladder. I don't see the oil having any problems except maybe it will overheat quicker than DOT fluid.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I think it's the heat thing. How does brake fluid react to heat, expansion wise, compared to oil? If the oil expands, then it could affect braking. As a clutch fluid, the oil isn't heating up like it would in the caliper.
Jerry

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

skipro3 wrote:I wish you luck if you already paid for this.
:evil: #@!$#$#!$$#!$$#@!$$#!$!#%$%$%$!^^^^^^^^$~#@!#@!~#@!~ :evil:

Do I need to say more !!!!!

Oh well ebay looks like the ticket.

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hey, I may be wrong. I'm often proven wrong. If someone like Inda says there's hope using mineral oil in the rear brake system without any issues, then great. Also, if the cap calls for DOT brake fluid like mine does, that fantastic!
Until it arrives, you won't know.

Say, did you read my KX250 write up?
Jerry

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Hey Ski what does your have stamped on the lid ??

Any model numbers ??

I have asked the same questions to the seller and will compare the two.

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Last edited by skipro3 on 12:33 pm Aug 03 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Cheers. Very nice looking ride BTW.

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Is it posssible for anyone to give Garry at EFM a call and ask him if the Magura clutch and brake master cylinder are one and the same. Only if its no hassle and a cheap call, otherwise I will wait for an email. I'm just worried as he hasn't returned a few emails in the past. No biggie. Cheers all.

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Nevermind, I have answered all my own questions... Thanks anyway...

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Well, did you get the part you can use for the hand brake?
Jerry