Magura clutch

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Nope. Its no good because of the reasons you stated. Heres a cut from the email from MaguraUSA.

Your left master cylinder uses mineral base fluid, changing to DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid will swell the seals. On the other hand the caliper probably will not function with our mineral fluid.

I have a 10.5 mm left master cylinder made for DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid.

Almost verbatim to what you said. Thanks again. :grin:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

You could get tricky with the mineral oil master cylinder:

Prime the brake cylinder and line with brake fluid using your front brake master cylinder. Then take the line off and attach to the mineral oil master cylinder that is pre-primed as well. Do this submirged in mineral oil so no air gets into the system.
Now you would have brake fluid at the brake cylinder and mineral oil in the master cylinder. I don't think you would ever need to bleed or flush the system. I've never had to once I did one correctly to begin with.

Let us know what you end up with, especially if you got burned buying a part you can't use!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Why don't you just get the rest of the pieces from magura to setup a juice clutch? At least you'd have a nice low force clutch until you can get the whole autoclutch setup?

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Getting anything KDX related over here can be impossible (as Jerry has found out). My clutch is pretty light to begin with so I don't really need it. The guys hadn't posted it out yet and weren't charging me until it was posted (meaning I wasn't actually charged for it because it hadn't been shipped yet). Lucky me.... Another $60 towards RBs head and carb. BTW Ron recieved my head and said it was in great shape. (not as good as when he's finished with it I bet) Hes going ahead with the mods so its ready to ship straight to you Jerry when I get the money to him. Head + head mod + A/S carb + RB mixture screw + allen bolt set + approx $400us. :grin: :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I'll be looking for this stuff. Heck, you will be able to pay for your air fare over here in the savings of shipping all this stuff. Of course it will be interesting when your bags get checked in at the terminal...Just tell 'em you got married while over here and they are "marital aids" It won't be lie, you came for parts and she came for the Las Vegas quickie!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

With any luck it shouldn't be as bad as shipping the forks, bars and wheels. It was a fairly bulky crate though. Approx 70lbs from memory (extremely well packed, thanks again Jerry). :prayer: I'm prepared to cop at least a $200+ shipping bill and thats before it hits my shores anyway so nothing will suprise me. :shock: I better get back out there collecting and scraping aluminium cans so I can afford shipping. :rolleyes:

I will let you know when it is getting sent your way Jerry. A few weeks yet...

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've never been impressed with Magura clutch actuators anyway. I've never seen one that worked better than my cable clutch.

If you're a bigtime clutch fanner (I'm not), maybe heat and clutch plate changes would make it worthwhile.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

The only thing I like about them (note i've only used them on a couple of KTM's) is the reduced pull. It takes like zero force to pull and hold in the clutch. The clutch on my 89 seems very tough by comparison.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E