99 or 2002, how much more is it worth

Got questions? We got answers....
Rollo1

99 or 2002, how much more is it worth

Post by Rollo1 »

I found a 99 KDX allegedly adult ridden and well taken care of--fmf pipe and a skidplate are only mods, guy is asking 1400.

I found a 2002 bone stock with less than 100 miles on the odo. This guy is asking 1700...

Which one should I buy and how much more is the 2002 with low miles worth?

thanks!
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

95 through 06 are the same bike! Get the one that's in better shape..
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The odo only goes up to 99.9 and then back to 0. Plus you can pull the knob on the side of the odo and roll it to what ever you want it to be.

And like was said before, but the one in better shape because they are the same bike. If they are in the same shape than go with the one with the pipe and skid plate.
Rollo1

Post by Rollo1 »

The guy with the one that is low mileage is an older fellow that is retired and he SEEMS like he is being completely straightforward. He has apparently owned it since new.

Unfortunately both bikes are about 2 hours away so it's not easy to compare them...however, I am kind of leaning toward the 99 because that guy has also owned the bike since new and has added the pipe, skid plate and a o-ring chain....I would at least want to add the pipe so that is money saved for me right there.

That odometer function is a good thing to know--that makes me suspicous of anyone who would mention it. Thanks guys!
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Buy the bike in better shape.
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Are these both 200's, or 220's, or one 200 and a 220?
F1

Post by F1 »

Aside from generally looking at the bike and checking things like wheel bearings, chain/sprocket wear tires etc, check some other less conspicuous things. Look at the nuts on the head - have they been off? - you can usually tell by the edges of the nuts. Case bolts - same deal. carb/reed cage - take a look. Check the fork seals - loosen up the fork boots and look. Factory fenders? Look underneath - the manufacturers name is usually there - if it says Acerbis or Ufo etc - they have been replaced.

I wouldnt not buy a bike for any of these reasons - but if the seller is telling you that he owned it since new and it never had work done, no rebuilds, all original etc etc you will be able to tell if they are full of it.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Any older 2t that has not had it's top end off for at least an inspection and PV cleaning if not a complete top end has NOT been taken care of.

just saying. "never had any work done", is not a good thing.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:Any older 2t that has not had it's top end off for at least an inspection and PV cleaning if not a complete top end has NOT been taken care of.

just saying. "never had any work done", is not a good thing.

That could depend on the amount of use. If the bike does really only have little time on it then why would you pull the top end?

There is a fare amount of bikes that people buy to "get back into riding" or "start riding" and then once they have them they get road around the yard and a trip or to to the woods. then stuffed into the corner of the garage.

Personally if I bought an older bike that was claimed to have low hours I would probably check the compression and ride it. If it acted good than why tear it apart? Between a compression test and looking thru the ports you can get a good idea of whats going on. :wink:
Rollo1

Post by Rollo1 »

These are both 200's. Like I said above I am leaning toward the 99 200 because the guy has apparently ridden it but he seems to have taken care of it. FMF pipe, skid plate...it does have a motocross rear fender but he said he has the original still.

Also he indicated the tires are almost new and O-ring chain and sprockets in good shape.

Unfortunately they are too far away to easily compare so I have to make a judgement call. The guy with low miles makes me suspicious unless he really doesn't know the odo just rolls over after 99 miles....that seems very unlikely.

Also, the 2002 guy just relisted his on craigslist again and went up 100 dollars on his asking price....he is asking 1700...I just don't want to spend that much right now.

thanks again for the advice guys.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

One way is to have them take some close up pictures of things that you can easily judge wear on - and email them to you. What I look for is footpeg wear, shifter wear (the little cross-hatchs) and brake pedal wear. Also, are the sprockets original and how much wear is on them? If a bike has less than 100 miles all those things will look like new. At 100 miles the tires should be original and no tool marks on the rims.

I bought a 97 about a year ago, and the original grease was still in the rear linkage that had no noticeable bearing wear. The bike had less than 40 hours on it and the shifter cross-hatches were still unworn. They're worn now tho' :mrgreen:

What year it is doesn't matter IMO and an aftermarket pipe and reeds only amount to about $300 if you want the extra performance.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.