Hey.... New to the site with questions

Got questions? We got answers....
sethspark

Hey.... New to the site with questions

Post by sethspark »

Hey Guys. I have two kdx 200's. An 87 and I believe a 91. I have not yet run the vin# on the 91 that's why I'm not sure.
I was going out riding this morning on the 87. When I started her up I let her warm up for a few minutes. It's pretty cold here in Mass. this time of year. Then I pulled in the clutch lever and kicked it into first gear and it was as if I didn't pull in the clutch at all. After making as many adjustments to the clutch as I could in the field, I have determined that I must need a new clutch. This has been a developing problem up to this point, but now I've got no clutch, or too much clutch (if the lever is adjusted tight). There is no "sweet spot" in the adjustment.
Just wondering what you guys might think, and where will I be able to get the parts?
Thanks in advance for your help.
-Seth
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

what trans oil are you using?
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

How long did you ride in the field and what was your highest gear used while riding?

I can take a 2 week break from my KDX and have the exact problem at first, "no clutch action with full squeeze" but I just roll the bike while at idle and hit 1st gear......... then, going around the block, I'll go through all 6 gears at low rpm to fee up the clutch plates............. then the clutch works fine.

I've spend about 30 min going up to 4th gear and back down with no help, but after going though all 6 gears it breaks the freeze faster and gets me into the action!

I might add, after riding for awhile, the full squeeze of the clutch is not as effective as it was once everything was freed up in the beginning..... I hear it's the beginning of a clutch basket issue....... I'm just ridding that out until the complete failure occurs..... not sure that is a good idea, but....
sethspark

Post by sethspark »

I just changed it with mobil 1 10-40 synthetic. I did not ride it at all because of the dropping into gear issue. maybe I should have taken it through the gears after a rolling start. I'll try that tomorrow.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Is that mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil, or automotive oil? Just checking.
sethspark

Post by sethspark »

just regular 10w40 automotive oil.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Well, that could be your problem. Switch it out for a motorcycle grade oil and let us know how it goes.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

make sure it doesn't have friction modifier, the KDX clutch doesn't like it.
Did it happen right after you changed the oil? or was it the same before you changed it?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Mobil 1 syn for automotive is not safe for your wet clutch. Use some cheap 10w40 like rotella that does not say "energy conserving" on the label, or get motorcycle specific motor oil. Or try some type f atf.