KDX 200 vs KTM 200

Got questions? We got answers....
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

KDX 200 vs KTM 200

Post by Fatherof2 »

Hi Gang,

Can I get some input on the KTM vs the KDX?

I have a chance to purchase a 2011 KTM 200 in like new condition for a VERY good price. My KDX is in excellent conditon, and I like it very much. I have FRP suspension, a pipe and air box mod. I was planning on the RB Carb & Head mod this winter. I have also been thinking a lot about the fork mod.

Would this late model KTM be a major upgrade on my KDX? I am a C rider.

What could I expect in terms of improvements vs the KDX?

I dont think I would sell the KDX even if I bought the KTM.

Thanks for any input guys,

David
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... ht=ktm+200
I think it'd be a sweet bike but it's totally completely utterly out of my price range and thus my radar
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I think that it is a terrible idea. By no means should you buy a KTM 200. You wouldn't be happy with it at all. (Can I get the guys name and number that is selling it?) :lol:

I remember reading an article when they first came out and from what they were saying, if you did everything you could do to a KDX it would be just shy of a KTM 200 in stock form. I tend to think that they were being a little harsh on the KDX but KTM does make a nice bike.

If it's in the price range than go for it. This time of the year bikes are cheap in the northeast so if you don't like it you should be able to make some money off it in the spring. :partyman:
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

buy it so I can live vicariously through you. :lol:
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Re: KDX 200 vs KTM 200

Post by bcdonyo »

>|<>QBB<
Fatherof2 wrote:
What could I expect in terms of improvements vs the KDX?
Let's see, better suspension, brakes, lighter weight, more power, slimmer ergos, hydraulic clutch blah blah blah. I do think the KDX has a very slight edge in reliability and a lower seat height.
Velocity_Stack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Velocity_Stack »

If you're "not" going to sell the KDX and it's "like new cond" for a "very good price", then just buy it.

If the price is that good, then there's room to make profit if you don't like it.
Oregon Trail

Post by Oregon Trail »

I've ridden KTM 200's for 1999's to 2009's, it will be an upgrade from the KDX, pretty much what the others said, "Let's see, better suspension, brakes, lighter weight, more power, slimmer ergos, hydraulic clutch blah blah blah. "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I can tell you one thing, the KTM does not FEEL lighter. I don't know if it actually is or not, but it feels very heavy to ride as compared to the KDX. I will also contest the "Better suspension" comments. More potential, definitely, but not better out of the box. It's just the other end of the scale from the kdx. Where the kdx is plush and wallowy, the ktm is hard and jittery. Either bike will need suspension work, IMO. The other thing the KDX has is comfort. The KTM will never be as comfortable to ride.

Just trying to throw out some honest feedback. The KTM 200 is an excellent bike, and can certainly outperform a stock KDX easily. The KDX does have it's advantages though. And with some mods..

Id say, if it were me and I had the money, it would be hard to pass up a "great price" on a 2011 ktm 200.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I'm currently on a '08 200XC.

The KDX is an all day rider. The KTM hurts my butt.

I'm no "faster" on the KTM but I am less worn after the same distance and time as on the KDX.

The ergos on the KTM took some tweaking and getting used too. I ended up putting in a bushing that lowers the rear about 1/2" to get the front/rear attitude I wanted.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Maybe its time to learn to ride while standing up..lol
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Riding standing up is all well and good, but standing up constantly for a 6+ hour trail ride? No thanks.
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

The above statements kinda sum it up. The KDX is a trail bike that can be raced. The KTM is a race bike that can be trail ridden. I rode a KTM 200 several years ago and it felt much lighter than a KDX too me. :rolleyes:

I do however, prefer the comfort of the KDX. If I want to go fast neither 200 has enough power to satisfy me, but I ride in the desert.
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Thanks for all the input guys.

I guess Im still kind of on the fence. The more I think about it, the more I have to admit that I dont think it will make me a better rider. My KDX is better than I am. Im just not sure that the KTM will take my game up.

Also, I just happened to come across this on Craigslist today. 40 minute drive from my house.

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/2739885131.html

Could it be a sign from the KDX Gods?!
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

If you are going to race, buy it. Make less sense as a trail bike. But for the right price, sounds like a good deal either way. Two bikes are better than one. My wife doesn't understand that part. :mrgreen:
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

My KDX200 is a different bike with USD forks carefully dialed in. I can ride it very fast - for most things I like it better than any of my 250's - and I can ride it longer...

A USD front end will actually make the bike lighter too, and it feels much lighter - so much is in the setup - my bar mounts are over 3/4" further forward than stock (I use 2004 WR250 triples) and it changes the way the bike handles - big time, for the better -

If you haven't done it already, spend the money on a new KDX front end rather than another bike - your wife will love your frugality (tell her you just don't think it's right to spend so much money on another toy) and she'll let you spend whatever you want on the KDX.

Hydraulic clutch? Big deal.
Orange is truly ugly.
Seat sucks.
Peaky power.
KTM's are Yuppie bikes - be different. :lol:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:I can tell you one thing, the KTM does not FEEL lighter. I don't know if it actually is or not, but it feels very heavy to ride as compared to the KDX. I will also contest the "Better suspension" comments. More potential, definitely, but not better out of the box. It's just the other end of the scale from the kdx. Where the kdx is plush and wallowy, the ktm is hard and jittery. Either bike will need suspension work, IMO. The other thing the KDX has is comfort. The KTM will never be as comfortable to ride.
I agree with ALL of that. I test ride my buddy's '08 KTM200 regularly. Nice bike, but I'm always happy to get back on my KDX. Then again, I'm no racer. (Also, my buddy is the one who always wants to swap for awhile. I've yet to bring it up.)
I also agree that two bikes are better than one, and 3 is better than 2, etc. :mrgreen: If you have the means I say buy it, try it, then keep it or sell it.
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R