I am taking the kick stand off of the swingarm

Got questions? We got answers....
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
hornet8118 wrote:Not a big fan of the factory kickstand either. It gets to be a real pain in the a$% if you happen to go down on a deeply rutted hill and when you try to roll the bike back and around to nose it down the hill and the stand digs into the hill. I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with. keep us in the loop.
Hornet
+1
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:I can understand maybe not liking the looks as that is a personal thing. The little bit of unsprung weight is for the most part a non-issue on a trail bike. Plus, I have never had one of my kick stands flop so I don't understand what you are talking about there. Of course, do what you like as it is your bike!
+1

All I can say is the stock stand does not require the need for a piece of propping material. And when I'm out in the woods riding and we stop for a break and just swing the stand down and get off while everyone else (KTM's and Trail Tech) is looking for the perfect spot to prop there bike up I do have to giggle. :grin:

And as far as unsprung weight, really? The tire and swing arm get MUCH more weight from mud than the stock stand weighs by the end of the day. Do you run light weight tubes filled with helium? No rotor or caliper guards? Aluminum sprockets and non o ring chain? I don't know if I have ever heard of some one being concerned with "unsprung Weight" on a woods bike. :mrgreen:

If it is a cosmetic thing then fine to each there own. I don't mind the look of the stock stand and it might even help keep the swing arm from getting as beat up. :wink:

But to the op, I would like to see how your project works out. Might just be the next "best thing". :grin:
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

>|<>QBB<
OLHILLBILLY wrote:>|<>QBB<
MadMax wrote:And it's still ugly.
So you take it off, then you got 4 ugly bolt holes to do something about. So you make an ugly plate to bolt over the ugly bolt holes. Now you've traded one ugly for another ugly, plus you have to find something to lean your bike on all the time. Or rig up something else that hopefully won't add more ugly to the ugly that's already there.
No breaks for the stylish huh? :razz:
Only two bolt holes.... A shot of silicone in each one keeps the goo out. Follow this link... http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6152
nothing ugly here.
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

Meh. If appearance is that big of a deal to you, go for it.
Waste of time IMO. Stock kickstand is there, works good, don't care what it looks like. If it was something that would make the bike run/handle better, then it'd be a different story entirely..
As a metal fabricator by trade, I'm mainly interested in just seeing what the OP is making. A matter of professional interest. :wink:
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Eh, if it didn't flop around erratically and hit the ground with every big bump I'd not worry about it. But since I have to do something, I may as well get rid of an eye sore.
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I take mine off to race to clear the ruts. I find it just a little short for my comfort, so I park with a 1" block under the kickstand. I should add a bit to it.

I do not think it is a $100 worth of ugly, the cost to upgrade it. But I see where you are coming from. But I would rather have a bit of ugly than be looking for a tree every time I stop on the trail to help my kid.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

well if you don't have the patience and the know how to adjust it properly

might as well take it off
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS