Second ride results

Got questions? We got answers....
Oregon Trail

Second ride results

Post by Oregon Trail »

So my second ride results are my front brake sucks. :oops: I have a Husqvarna too and the brakes on that are awesome, I like to lock up when I need to but these would not. I usually set my bikes up with real touchy brakes, but a whole handful and it wouldn't lock up. The pads look like there's meat left, but you never know what the previous owner did or didn't do. I'll take it apart to see if the pads are just glazzed. :roll: I rear worked fine after some adjustment. :boogie:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

KDX front brakes work great. If they don't then there is definitely something wrong. I would make sure pads are good, proper fluid level, fresh fluid, properly bled, and make sure rotor is withing spec. If all of that is good it should throw you over the bars with ease!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Richardtheroadie

Post by Richardtheroadie »

Wow, this opposite my reaction. I love that I can grab the front brake and not lock up on my KDX. The Husky I have has become the buddy bike for that reason. Just test rode the second KDX to the stable and was happy the front brake was closer to the KDX than the Husky (2004 TE510 vs '97 KDX with RM250 front end). Is my front brake mushy as well? and how do I keep it that way?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

OEM pads seem to be the best pads for the KDX from a general consensus. I had EBC front brakes on my bike when I bought it and you only had about one and a half stops before they were done for the day. I swaped back to OEM pads and they work great!

Have you tried adjusting the lever?
Oregon Trail

Post by Oregon Trail »

>|<>QBB<
Richardtheroadie wrote:Wow, this opposite my reaction. I love that I can grab the front brake and not lock up on my KDX. The Husky I have has become the buddy bike for that reason. Just test rode the second KDX to the stable and was happy the front brake was closer to the KDX than the Husky (2004 TE510 vs '97 KDX with RM250 front end). Is my front brake mushy as well? and how do I keep it that way?
You need a lot for front brake where I ride; steep hills of decomposed granite, other wise you just start skidding down the trail. I love just being able to pull in and lock it up when needed on those controlled skids. :mrgreen:
I adjusted the lever (helped some) and I'll mic the rotor next.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Where do you ride?

The Peak? Quartz?

My front brake works fine
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Oregon Trail

Post by Oregon Trail »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Where do you ride?

The Peak? Quartz?

Mainly at a place known as Johns Peak and Anderson Butte. :whistle:
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I had issues with my front brakes, they were mushy and ended up locking up in a race. I rebuilt the master cylinder, and they are much more crisp and release properly.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Bleeding is critical too. I rebuilt m/c and caliper and still didn't have much brake. I struggled getting it bled well, but I just kept after it and bled the heck out of it. Now this thing has some brakes!
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
Oregon Trail

Post by Oregon Trail »

I'll try bleeding then rebuilding, thanks. :grin:
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Try reverse bleeding with a turkey baster and a small piece of hose. Squeeze the fluid into the caliper at the bleed screw.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Oregon Trail wrote:>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Where do you ride?

The Peak? Quartz?

Mainly at a place known as Johns Peak and Anderson Butte. :whistle:
figured you were who you were
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
harlequin

Post by harlequin »

+1 for bleeding with a turkey baster. My neighbor and I were bleeding brakes on his YZ, and even though we "finished" doing the front, when we rode it down the street it still would feel mooshy and then lock up all of a sudden, and we went back and used a turkey baster like that, and it pushed more air bubbles up to the master cylinder. that plus tapping all over the whole system with a rubber-coated rod, hose and parts, broke up a lot of air. it made all the difference
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
gsa102 wrote:Try reverse bleeding with a turkey baster and a small piece of hose. Squeeze the fluid into the caliper at the bleed screw.
I prefer a mity-vac

Change fluid and bleed all in one easy no mess step
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
THill

Post by THill »

Hey another little item is the pumps used to put gear lube in outboards lower units....Screw it on a bottle of brake fluid, have the correct size of hose that fits the bleeder and pump right out of the brake fluid bottle...These can be found at Wallyworld or any outboard marina.....very easy , no mess and works great if your by yourself ........
#2 , 03 220 HYBRID..
Oregon Trail

Post by Oregon Trail »

Have to do something, the front brake is squealling on downhills and won't let me completely stop the front wheel. :oops: The pads look like EBC metallic pads. :cry:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

must be something not right somewhere, but I doubt it has anything to do with the pads, unless they are glazed over
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Oregon Trail

Post by Oregon Trail »

Went out today with the new pads, way better! :prayer: Rode on a bunch of granite and they finally worked like I wanted them to. :lol: