Prior things done by old owner...

Got questions? We got answers....
F1

Prior things done by old owner...

Post by F1 »

I just bought an 06 and its pretty clean. Runs good. I have been undoing a few things done by the prior owner. First, the odo is removed and there is RED silicone all over the front wheel rotor hole. I need a cap to cleanly finish that.(I dont want the odo). The bike has a stock pipe with a turbine core silencer. There is again, red silicone or rtv sealant at the junction of the pipe and silencer where the black silicone joint connector is.

Should that joint have any type of clamp on it? I want to make the connection correctly without any leakage. Also, the bike has messy exhaust splooge coming out the silencer. I will be switching from whatever is in it to a semi syn 2stroke oil to hopefully reduce the oil out the exhaust and smoke. I noted after cleaning the bike and then running it that there was some exhaust junk running down the silencer tube to the pipe. How can the stuff come out the back side of the silencer?
liv4fishin

Post by liv4fishin »

Not sure about a plug for the odo drive. I think that I read or saw somewhere a spacer to take it's place. Typically there is no clamp on the pipe joint. I usually seal the pipe and silencer together with hi temp silicone and the slide the boot over it. The front and back caps on my FMF silencer were sealed with silicone from the factory.
The spooge is a jetting issue. Stock jetting is safe, read real rich. Spend a little time jetting the bike and you can make most of that go away. I currently run a 155 main and a 42 or 45 pilot. Could go leaner but some of the sandwashes we have here really need that extra fuel so kinda have to go with a happy medium.
Good luck!
Four out of five voices in my head tell me to go for it!
2004 KDX 200
2003 Shadow Spirit
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The meter gear canceller is at http://www.zeta-racing.com/body/meter_g ... index.html

As far as spoog the jetting may be off but don't be suprised if you can not get rid of the spoog all together.

For the collar between the pipe and silencer I used two o rings that were a tight fit on the little groves in the front and back of the collar and it helped to seal it up with no silicone or other clamps.
skippypinecone
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by skippypinecone »

I had a bit of spooge leaking at the same connector, used some black rtv and tightened each end with some thin mechanics wire, no more leaks.
ktm950se

Post by ktm950se »

Great find on the 'meter gear cancelled'!
My 220, with the full RB treatment/jetting, FMF pipe/silencer, and Kawasaki 2-cycle Racing oil at 32-1 has absolutely NO sponge, even without any silicone/RTV at the exhaust joints.
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Here is a link to a spedo plug I have used for years. All you have to do is pull the cable and screw the plug in. It's that simple.

http://www.ziptyracing.com/products/pro ... d=MTMwNw==
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:The meter gear canceller is at http://www.zeta-racing.com/body/meter_g ... index.html
I can't see a price or how to order on that site. How much is it?

I took the guts out of mine and filled the hole with black RTV. Works fine and looks OK. The canceller is pretty slick though.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I think someone on here said they paid around $30 for it.
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:I think someone on here said they paid around $30 for it.

:supz: Thanks rbates.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE