Clutch issue?

Got questions? We got answers....
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Clutch issue?

Post by rbates9 »

Today when I went riding I started the bike up and let it warm up a little bit and when the other people in the group started to go I pulled in the clutch, shifted into first and the bike jumped ahead like it would if the clutch wasn't pulled in and stalled. I tried to start it in gear with the clutch pulled in and the bike wanted to move ahead when I tried to start it and wouldn't kick over. Very impressed by this I shifted back into neutral and and re started the bike again pulled the clutch in and shifted into first but this time it was fine and remained fine all day.

Any thoughts?
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Plates stuck together for a bit??? :hmm:
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Yeah clutch plates were stuck together. Shouldn't be a problem. Had it been a while since you had the bike out?
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
turtle wrote:Yeah clutch plates were stuck together. Shouldn't be a problem. Had it been a while since you had the bike out?
+1 happens to me all the time.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Only about a week since the last ride. But it did sit for five months or so before that. It seemed fine last week tho. That is what made it strange to me.

I guess It just means I can't let it sit so much. :wink:
regularjoe

Post by regularjoe »

Happens to me all the time too.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

Happens to me all the time, on the CR 125 I have and XR 200 and EXC 125 I used to have. It's worse the longer I let it sit
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

There's a '98 YZ125 in the stable that does that every time the bike sits a week or longer. I've tried a couple different types of oil in the tranny and nothing helps. I have to start the bike, push it fast enough that I can get it in gear and hold the clutch in while banging the throttle open and closed for a couple hundred yards until it finally releases. After that, it's all good.
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
BFD

Post by BFD »

Next time you park it for a while, zip tye the clutch lever open(pulled against the bar.) This is best done with hot trans fluid. This should let fluid seep in between the clutch plates and keep them from sticking. But honestly, it's a sign that new friction plates are in your bikes future.
BFD