Question on an 86 KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Question on an 86 KDX

Post by turtle »

A friend of mine recently bought an 86 200. It hasn't run much since he got it bcause it needed some other work. Now when he starts it, it wil l rev up high for a few seconds and then die. This is with choke on. When it is running for those few seconds it just bogs if you try to give it throttle. I assume its the carb but I dont know enough to know what to do. I told him to replace the plug and make sure the air filter was clean because he hadn't done any of that, but whats the next step to see if we can get this thing going? It sounds just fine when it us running. Thanks![/b]
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Clean the carb.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

and don't stick anything down the jets, just carb cleaner and compressed air. I found vinegar ate the aluminum corrosion in the float bowl in my 89
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

the pilot jet is likely the problem. It has very small passages that clog very easily when the fuel in the bowl is allowed to sit for a long time. I typically remove the pilot jet, soak it in carb cleaner for a few minutes, then I remove a single strand from a stripped electrical wire about two inches long, and I use that to poke out whatever blockage is in the jet. The soft copper of the wire strand won't damage the jet, and it's thin enough to get through the smallest passages.
David Eckel
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Makes sense to me. Thanks for the replies.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

We finally got around to cleaning my buddy's carb today. That was it. Cleaned the pilot jet out and it started, idled, took throttle, etc. I have high hopes it'll do well on a ride but it was too dang cold (and dark) to try it today. Thanks for the help.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R