ATV Question

Got questions? We got answers....
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

ATV Question

Post by Fatherof2 »

Hi Gang,

I know this is a KDX forum, but the question relates to the KDX.

Which ATV (if any) is the KDX of the ATV world?

Cheap, reliable, fun etc!

Thanks for any input,

David
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

I have a honda fourtrax (rancher) 350 it's an 03.
It has 6000kms on it. I have done rear brake shoes and front wheel bearings on it. I got it for 2000.
I used to use it for trails but now with the kdx I don't do that anymore.
I mounted a swisher bucket on the front with a champion 4500lb winch and use it as a utilitarian machine hauling gravel or dirt or moving snow.

I am very happy with this unit. It hasn't given me a lick of a problem that isn't minor. I've seen other quads with more power etc but my honda can do most anything I want it to. Just stay away from the electric shift models as there have been issues with a sensor on them.

My timing chain is making a bit of noise now but for 6k kms that's not too bad!!!
Ps. it uses no oil and is very fuel efficient.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Yamaha Blaster. 200cc 2t, very cheap and durable, a ton of them out there. They have their own class for racing.

If you need a bigger machine I am partial to the Yamaha Warrior.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

By far, the Honda TRX400! The motor originated in the XR400 so that gives you an idea of how completely bombproof and easy to maintain it is.
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

A vote for the Polaris Trailblazer here. We have a 250 and a 400, both two strokers. Love em. They are definitely cheap, reliable, and fun. Sporty-ish, trailworthy machines. Very capable and reliable except starters like to go out if you ride in very deep water. They are plentiful and can be picked up cheap.

More recent models have gone 4T (Trailblazer 330cc and Scrambler 500cc). The last 2Ts were somewhere around 2006. The Scrambler is the same basic machine in 4WD. I have friends with Scrambler 500s and they are the same: fun, capable, reliable.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

I would go with the following: TRX250R, Blaster 200, Warrior 350, 250x/300ex, Tri-Z 250, 200x/350x, 83-86 ATC250R, and that's about it. I have owned/ridden every one of these and they're great for trail riding plus what ever you throw at them. I have also owned/ridden a 400ex(Meh), trx450r, polaris predator 500(Decent quad), Banshee 350(:mrgreen:), and they're all decent but lack a certain off idle power that is very much needed for trail riding. I would never buy a 4x4 as they're a death trap waiting to happen. Go onto you tube and type quad wreck and what do you see? A bunch of idiots on sports quads, and 4x4's wrecking..
Last edited by factoryX on 03:00 pm Nov 28 2011, edited 1 time in total.
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

I would also like to point out that the trx250r was the quad of choice for mx and enduro events for nearly 15 years, and is only dying now due to less R&D, and old age, lol.
David_L6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by David_L6 »

The Yamaha Big Bear 400 is a good one. It has a standard transmission (no belts to wear out), IRS (rides good), and is air cooled. I had one for a few years. Liked it just fine. Never had any problems with it. Would still have it if I hadn't wanted one of the new Kawasaki 750 Brute Force with power steering (I now have two BF 750s).
2000 KDX200 / 2002 CR250 / 2003 CR250 / 2008 TT-R230 / 2011 Brute Force 750 / 2012 Brute Force 750 EPS
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

>|<>QBB<
gsa102 wrote:Yamaha Blaster. 200cc 2t, very cheap and durable, a ton of them out there. They have their own class for racing.
+1, the Blaster, like the KDX is a simple, low maintence, light, compact, out of production trail machine. They are tops in the dollar to fun ratio.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
gsa102 wrote:Yamaha Blaster. 200cc 2t, very cheap and durable, a ton of them out there. They have their own class for racing.

If you need a bigger machine I am partial to the Yamaha Warrior.
The Blasters are great! Probably the biggest problem with them is the brakes. I haven't rode a newer one with hydraulic brakes but they were supposed to be much better.

For some stupid reason the Warriors are cheaper around here so that would probably be my choice for no other reason than price. They are a little bigger, 4T, electric start, and have reverse.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
turtle wrote:A vote for the Polaris Trailblazer here. We have a 250 and a 400, both two strokers. Love em. They are definitely cheap, reliable, and fun. Sporty-ish, trailworthy machines. Very capable and reliable except starters like to go out if you ride in very deep water. They are plentiful and can be picked up cheap.

More recent models have gone 4T (Trailblazer 330cc and Scrambler 500cc). The last 2Ts were somewhere around 2006. The Scrambler is the same basic machine in 4WD. I have friends with Scrambler 500s and they are the same: fun, capable, reliable.
I have to agree with any of the polaris line.
I have a 2001 scrambler 500 4x4 bought it new, plowed snow every winter,
sunk it in 5 ft of water right when it was new and it still runs great and have never had the engine open. The belts and a new primary clutch were the major expenses of the last 10 years.
Not a powerhouse balls out quad by any means but reliable fun!
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

maybe you should have asked "what should I stay away from"?
I've heard that most quads are good these days.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Yes and no. Each ATV have their own set of problems. Whats funny is that some of the older atv's have better reliability than newer quads. If your looking for a great all around bike I would go with either a Warrior/raptor 350(same quad different plastics), trx250x/300ex(Same bike slight displacement differences and the 300ex has e-start), or a blaster. 4x4's are great but you can't get to extreme due to it being unstable, and this is because most trails are limited up to 5 inches wide and the manufactures build there machines within this limit. Whats even funnier is that most of these machines weigh upwards of 700lbs and more(AKA Jeeps with handlebars), can you imagine yourself man handling these around? That being said, most of the Polaris two stroke 4x4/2x4 utility/sport quads from the 90's and up are great due low weight and easy maintenance so that wouldn't be a bad idea either. :partyman:
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Do any of you guys have a Blaster?
200CC two stroke, air cooled, correct?

I've got a couple of available rolling chassis and am thinking about another hybrid. I really don't know if that motor would be mountable. Has it got the typical motorcycle style mounting arrangement with the swingarm bolt going through the cases and so on........

Yeah, it is a hijack. It looks like the OP's question has been covered
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
mucka

Post by mucka »

Have to go with the Honda 400EX. Great low end power. Air cooled. Bullit proof.
2006 KDX 200
nads70

Post by nads70 »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:Do any of you guys have a Blaster?
200CC two stroke, air cooled, correct?

I've got a couple of available rolling chassis and am thinking about another hybrid. I really don't know if that motor would be mountable. Has it got the typical motorcycle style mounting arrangement with the swingarm bolt going through the cases and so on........

Yeah, it is a hijack. It looks like the OP's question has been covered
Just got rid of one and bought a Banshee instead. 200CC air cooled oil injected 2 stroke. VERY basic design. They do have a typical mounting set up for the engine and people put all kinds of engines in the chassis.
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Thanks for all the great input everyone!

I am trading my XR250 for a 2006 Raptor 350.

I pick it up on Saturday.

Love my XR, but I never ride it. I kept it as my "friend" bike, but have never had a friend come and ride it.

I will post a picture this weekend.

Thanks again!

David
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

That was a decent trade.
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Here she is!

I traded this..............

for this.................

The boy was not part of the deal. I already had him!!

Thanks for the help everyone.

David
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Good deal. Good quads.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project