New chain n sprockets

Got questions? We got answers....
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

New chain n sprockets

Post by turtle »

I'm still pretty new to dirt motorcycle riding and am still seeing changes in my riding skills the more I ride (getting better little by little). I want to replace my chain and sprockets next season and I am thinking about a gearing change. The bike is a mostly stock 220 with FMF exhaust and stock 13/47 gearing. I ride mostly fairly tight woods with little in the way of open runs (that may change somewhat next year as I plan to do a couple DS rides with some open runs and connecting roads, but for the most post it will still be woods riding).

I started out riding mostly in first and second gear, climbing most decent hills in first, and rarely hitting third. Lately in the same riding areas I have been riding in second and trying third but it's a little tall. I'm doing some hills in second gear and want to do more. It seems like a 13/49 combo would make it a little easier to maintain third in the trails and take more hills in second gear.

What do you more experienced riders think? Is this an insignificant change? Or could I regret going taller if my skills continue to get better? Would I still need a 108 chain with the 49T or would this require a 110? Thanks!
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: New chain n sprockets

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

>|<>QBB<
turtle wrote:I'm still pretty new to dirt motorcycle riding and am still seeing changes in my riding skills the more I ride (getting better little by little). I want to replace my chain and sprockets next season and I am thinking about a gearing change. The bike is a mostly stock 220 with FMF exhaust and stock 13/47 gearing. I ride mostly fairly tight woods with little in the way of open runs (that may change somewhat next year as I plan to do a couple DS rides with some open runs and connecting roads, but for the most post it will still be woods riding).

I started out riding mostly in first and second gear, climbing most decent hills in first, and rarely hitting third. Lately in the same riding areas I have been riding in second and trying third but it's a little tall. I'm doing some hills in second gear and want to do more. It seems like a 13/49 combo would make it a little easier to maintain third in the trails and take more hills in second gear.

What do you more experienced riders think? Is this an insignificant change? Or could I regret going taller if my skills continue to get better? Would I still need a 108 chain with the 49T or would this require a 110? Thanks!
Since first gear is so low, a lot of people add 2 or 3 to the rear and don't use first anymore. You should still have a pretty good top end in 6th unless everyone is going street bike speeds.
As for the chain length, I'd say get the 110 and see how it fits. I'm using a 13/48 combo, and with a 110 chain the snail adjusters are all the way to the back end to get the proper chain slack. But.. with a 108, its in the 1.5 notch at the very front. With the OEM size 47 sprocket, a 108 was in the 4-4.5 notch. The extra tooth moved it up 3 notches on the snail adjuster. So if a 49 takes it up an equal amount, a 108 may well not be long enough.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

i was running 13/48 on my 220 & hardly used 1st gear even in the tight stuff...but on the open trails/riding on the road it ran out of steam very quick ..the 220s have great low down power anyway & pull very well...since then i now run 13/45 (13/47 standard gearing) which i find excellent & hardly any sacrafice in the woods at all, it doesnt scream so much on the long stuff & riding on the road is good as i can cruise along at 50/55 quite comfortably.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You could try a 12 tooth on the front and it would be a lot like putting a 49-50 on the back. Front sprockets are a cheap way to see if you like what your trying. Long term the 12 on the front will wear quicker but they are easy to change and cheap to try. You may want to try a 12 up front before you buy a new chain and sprocket set and see if that is going to work.

And yes you should probably get a longer chain and cut it down to fit if you do go larger in the back. The last chain I bought was about 8 or so links to long but better than too short.
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

I run 13/49 with a 110 link chain. I really like the gearing and third is perfect for fast hill climbs with no swithbacks, second is great for those hillclimbs with challenging switchbacks, first is perfect for following my daughter on her crf 50! I just got the hybrid going so I have an aluminum 49t rear sprocket and a 110 link oring chain for sale if you are interested. They are both primary drive brand and in excellent condition. You can email me at jbowens2401@yahoo.com if you are interested. Then you could get a good steel front sprocket for around 10 bucks.

John
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

Hey John, I think I could do that. I'll send you an email. Thanks.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

It is hard to get master links for O-ring chain because they are not interchangable from brand to brand like with regular chain. So you normally can't add to it if it is too short.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250