being more competative

Got questions? We got answers....
asmed12345

being more competative

Post by asmed12345 »

I'm starting to race hare scrambles next season and am wondering what i can do to my 2002 KDX 200 to be more competative. Or is it good enough as is (fully stock)?
'96 XR 100 ''02 KDX 200
Duke

Post by Duke »

Do a word or subject search on this site and you will find several responses offered to this very question. In most instances you'll find an affirmative being offered. For the C class competing on tight or semi tight course, the bike is still competetive, albeit with a few upgrades. This is espeically true in the 30 and older classes. The more wide open the course and/or the more the course incorporates MX jumps, the less competetive. But even then, there are guys racing desert and a few who dabble on an old school MX track and can pass by far lesser skilled pilots. I would really recommend investing in improving riding skill via a attending a riding local school or DVD series like Shane Watts or Gary Semics. So many folks try to compensate for poor conditioning or bad riding habits by modifying the bike to the hilt-it doesnt work.
4vman1

Post by 4vman1 »

>|<>QBB<
Duke wrote:Do a word or subject search on this site and you will find several responses offered to this very question. In most instances you'll find an affirmative being offered. For the C class competing on tight or semi tight course, the bike is still competetive, albeit with a few upgrades. This is espeically true in the 30 and older classes. The more wide open the course and/or the more the course incorporates MX jumps, the less competetive. But even then, there are guys racing desert and a few who dabble on an old school MX track and can pass by far lesser skilled pilots. I would really recommend investing in improving riding skill via a attending a riding local school or DVD series like Shane Watts or Gary Semics. So many folks try to compensate for poor conditioning or bad riding habits by modifying the bike to the hilt-it doesnt work.

Very well said. As far as I'm concerned, all a stock kdx needs to win races is aluminum handlebars with wrap around handguards, and that more for crash protection than anything.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

The rider makes far more difference than the bike.

Good suspension builds confidence to hold the throttle open longer.

Tune your suspension with the appropriate springs for your weight. Set the sag on the rear to get the best possible action. Then work on adjusting the clickers to suit you. FRP has very good reccomendations on their web site.

Ride, ride, ride. Practice against a stopwatch.

I find that I am on the gas far more on the KDX than other bikes.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

There are lots of performance mods you can do from free to a few hundred dollars.

First would be remove airbox lid - free
new pipe will make huge difference - 300.00
Jetting will also be huge - jets are cheap. get a range based on your altitude/conditions and read the jetting guide
RB Head and carb mod - 250.00ish
KX front end - 300-600.00
Reeds - 35-250.00
Hybrid - ???

This site is a great resource but you must SEARCH/READ to benefit.

The motor with no internal mods can be quite competitive. My bike has gnarly woods pipe, vforce reeds airbox lid removed and jetted properly, No motor mods at all yet. I race the local hare scramble series as well as enduros in the B class and get top 10 overall B. The faster guys arent beating me in the woods because their bikes are faster. In the open stuff they walk away. Starts are not gonna happen against someone on a 450 that knows how to get off the line. I come off the line in first but have never been better than third to the first turn. 5th by 2nd turn.
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

If you looked around the forum there are sections completely made for this purpose. And as Fraken said there is a search bar. :partyman:
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

I will say that the rider needs to be more prepared than the bike. I rode my first harescramble this year and I was more tired than I ever could have imagined, but the bike seemed fine :supz:
2000 KDX200(mine)
Polini X3(daughter)(FOR SALE)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
1969 M35a2 (Deuce and a 1/2)
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

>|<>QBB<
wbdisco wrote:I will say that the rider needs to be more prepared than the bike. I rode my first harescramble this year and I was more tired than I ever could have imagined, but the bike seemed fine :supz:
It more about fitness than anything...
ickfinger

Post by ickfinger »

make sure your chain and sprockets are fresh
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

wbdisco wrote:
I will say that the rider needs to be more prepared than the bike. I rode my first harescramble this year and I was more tired than I ever could have imagined, but the bike seemed fine

It more about fitness than anything...

Yup.
Just for fun, find a good long loop of varied terrain and try running it from a full tank of gas until you hit reserve. Keep pretending there are people behind you trying to catch you.

It will give you a good idea of where you stand.

A hare scramble IS an endurance event for most people.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

>|<>QBB<
ickfinger wrote:make sure your chain and sprockets are fresh
x2 on this one, had a chain break on the last one I ran, a DNF hurts the soul
2000 KDX200(mine)
Polini X3(daughter)(FOR SALE)