new linkage & swingarm bearings

Got questions? We got answers....
cornishwrecker220

new linkage & swingarm bearings

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

just fitted my new `all balls` linkage,swingarm & lower shock bearings to my 03 220 but upon assembly i notice i still have a very very tiny bit of play when i pull up on the swingarm..it seems to come from the lower link arm where it bolts to the lower frame..everything is nice & tight & i packed all the bearings etc with a thick coating of bell ray waterproof grease..there was no sign of wear to the swingarm or lower link bearing housing & the new bearings pressed in with a little bit of force..is this normal to have a small bit of play on the kdx?...anyone else noticed this on theirs after replacing worn swingarm/linkage bearings? cheers
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

You should have a slight bit of play even when new. Otherwise you would not have enough clearance to get it assembled.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
cj555rally
Supporting Member

Post by cj555rally »

Maybe slight wear on the frame itself? The bolts tend to be harder than the frame.....
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I bet if you tighten down further on that linkage bolt that goes through the frame ears the play will go away.

The inner race is trapped between the ears, the ears are squeezed together against the inner race. Put the hurt on it!

There should not be any play in the linkage.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:I bet if you tighten down further on that linkage bolt that goes through the frame ears the play will go away.

The inner race is trapped between the ears, the ears are squeezed together against the inner race. Put the hurt on it!

There should not be any play in the linkage.
+1

exactly how mine was with the new bearings. tightened her up and, voila!