Keep my 97 KDX 200 or switch to KLX 450r for next season H/S

Got questions? We got answers....
joekerdude

Keep my 97 KDX 200 or switch to KLX 450r for next season H/S

Post by joekerdude »

Trying to decide whether to keep my KDX 200 and have Fredette mods done to motor and suspension or look at possibly going to a KLX450 R. I love my 200, actually I have two of them. Just looking for some input. I do my H/S racing in central and southern Indiana, usually a good combination of tight and open tracks. I am a senior c rider, not out to blow anyones doors off, I just like to compete. But it seems that the 200 really beats me up. I road a buddy's WR 450 through the woods and it road like a dream compared to my old 200.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I would think the 450 would be very nice in the more open stuff, but less so in truly tight condidions. Since you already have two KDXs, keep one stock, set up one of HS, and just for kicks buy the KLX 450, too. That way you'll have all your bases covered. :) Bring all three bikes to the HS and park two of the in the pits. Ride a lap to get a feel for the course and then switch to the best bike for the job! This has to be legal.
David Eckel
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

The KLX is a monster. That can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.
'00 KDX 220R
joekerdude

Post by joekerdude »

>|<>QBB<
dfeckel wrote:I would think the 450 would be very nice in the more open stuff, but less so in truly tight condidions. Since you already have two KDXs, keep one stock, set up one of HS, and just for kicks buy the KLX 450, too. That way you'll have all your bases covered. :) Bring all three bikes to the HS and park two of the in the pits. Ride a lap to get a feel for the course and then switch to the best bike for the job! This has to be legal.
I like the way ya think.. If I did get a KLX I would keep the KDX's, I seem have a problem getting rid of motorcycles.. Usually the racing series will not allow you to pre-ride the course.
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

450's are good for wide open whoop section trails, but in tight single track you could be just as fast on a KDX. It all comes down to what you're doing. I would honestly pick up a KTM 300, pretty much the best of both worlds. Reliable, fast, and cheap to maintain. And don't forget about GasGas, great bikes.
joekerdude

Post by joekerdude »

I know the KTM's are good, lots of them at the track. Just that the KTM's are a little pricey.. I love my KDX and maybe with suspension uprades it would be the way to go. I just figured since it was time for a rebuild I would just take the motor and suspension up to Fredette Racing and have them work their magic on it. Leaning heavily that way right now.
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Why not a hybrid? At least you would have more options to work with.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Either FRP for the engine or RBD for the head and carb mod.
For suspension, I'd forget about messing with the stock forks, no matter how good they can be, you will still have the huge underhang and no rebound setting...(flame suit on :roll: )
i'd go for USD fork and get them sprung for your weight, then if still not satisfied, revalved them.
From your post ("200 beat me up") it seems to me you need to work on your suspension...
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I think just the opposite of the OP. I ride senior C and I bought a 96 KDX to race because my WR450 with modified suspension and autoclutch wore me out in the tight stuff. At the last race at the closest HS, I rode 2 more laps on the KDX before I even started to set it up for myself.

With the WR, I am always on the brake, or have a death-grip on the throttle, trying to keep the power under control and get the power to the ground. The WR forks are crappy on the rocks, and the weight kills you if you fall over or get stuck. It is better in the fields and on steep hills climbs. I tried it on a MX track and it actually worked pretty well. As my skill improves, it is getting easier to ride fast. And it has a much more planted feel.

With the KDX, I am on the gas, except in the whooped-out open fields. It is much easier to ride over all. With some suspension tuning, I got it to stick like glue on slippery hills, and it eats rocks and roots. It is too soft for me, so I am swapping on some DRZ forks. They may go on the WR, too. The only bad thing is no auto clutch.

I can't imagine going back to a single bike. As I learn the tracks, I can guess which bike will work better. Open/GNCC - WR, normal, tight, rocky stuff, KDX
Last edited by gsa102 on 10:18 am Nov 24 2011, edited 1 time in total.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

I know a guy who rides an '09 KLX450, and he flies on it. Usually in the top 3 in the open C class, here in MO where almost the whole course is tight single track and ugly terrain. But, he's in his early 30's and pretty fit.
I've thought about getting a KLX, but those are some big heavy bikes alright. As factoryX was saying, I'm leaning more toward a 300XC-W or a 'Berg TE300. Possibly a GasGas 300.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

A friend of mine raced Unidilla this summer on his 06 KTM 300 and took 3rd. The first lap he missed a corner and hit a tree, lost his bike down the bank and hurt his shoulder. The last lap he lost his shifter in the first corner and was stuck in second for the rest of the race. This was his first race. Ever. He is an exceptional rider but the KTM 300's are also exceptional bikes.

My next bike will be a KTM 300. The 450 four strokes are fast but from my experience they are a bit too angry.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

450's seem to run the tight nasty **** around here better than anything else

300's can't even follow them on the nasty uphills
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

:shock: They make just about the same horse power and torque as a stock cr500 makes, and with multiple ignition settings you can actually use it... That doesn't even compare to 450 trail bikes.. :roll: And don't even compare reliability, they've been known to average 100 plus hours per piston.. I've ridden 450's, most recently an 08 crf450r which is supposed to be one of the better years before Honda ruined it, and if anything the 450 mimics the 2 stroke mx bikes with a late hitting powerband, with little to no off idle power. So you either get a 4 stroke with a **** ton of top end and weighs nothing or a 240lb+ trail bike with maybe 46hp if your lucky.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:450's seem to run the tight nasty sh!t around here better than anything else

300's can't even follow them on the nasty uphills
Strange to hear someone say that. The single track I ride around here makes the 450 guys cry like little girls. The 200/300 2 strokes are king in the NC mountains.
joekerdude

Post by joekerdude »

KLX 450 R weighs in at 242 lbs dry weight and KDX around 223 lbs, just wondering if the increased power is worth the weight increase. My kdx is piped and that about the only mod, I can't say anything bad about it except suspension, and that can be revalved and reworked. It will go anywhere, haven't found a course yet that it couldn't concur. I ran it at the GNCC Ironman and completed 4 laps in 2.22 hours. just think it would be nice for some more speed in the open areas. One poster made a good point 450 for GNCC type tracks and KDX for tighter tracks.
Has anyone had Fredette do any work for them??
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

While the 4t may not weigh that much more on paper, the higher COG of the engine and increased rotating mass makes it feel like a tank. I have ridden a couple 450's, and definitely not my cup of tea. With a few mods I'm way faster on the KDX or the KTM.
wbdisco
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by wbdisco »

you guys talking about KTMs, Bergs, and GasGas bikes make me jealous. I spent $1300 on my KDX and had a hard time spending that much on a bike to romp on a few HS, much less $8k :shock:
2000 KDX200(mine)
Polini X3(daughter)(FOR SALE)
TRX70(other daughter)
Big Bear 400(wifey)
1969 M35a2 (Deuce and a 1/2)
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

There are loads of used KTM and Gas Gas bikes on the market. I've been tempted to pick up a gas gas several times, but never pulled the trigger. No way I can swing a brand new bike right now, but I'd really like to add a Gas Gas or TM to the stable. Not so much on the KTM, since all my friends ride them and I can get some seat time on one pretty much any time I want.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I agree that the 450s are better on the more difficult hills, with the extra power. The KDX could use more at those times. But the KDX power delivery is better in the tight stuff, for me.

Both my bikes were bought used so they weren't too pricey. I would have a tough time buying a new one.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Keep in mind you need to compare apples to apples. Can't compare a CRF450R to a KDX or KTM EXC. CAN compare a 450X, KLX, KTM 4T EXC, etc. They are cammed/tuned different. I still don't care for them as I consider every one built to be a time bomb. The tractability of one would come in handy at times though. To be honest, I have zero loyalty to Kawasaki outside of the KDX, and any 4T I'd consider would be Blue or Rotax powered.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project