also found a 2002 KTM 200 exc

Got questions? We got answers....
Rollo1

also found a 2002 KTM 200 exc

Post by Rollo1 »

in my price range. Anybody ridden both that can share some wisdom?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

The'02 KTM200's are flat out explosive power wise. They have better suspension than the KDX stock but with KX forks I think the KDX is better. It is quite a bit smaller than the KDX. Being only 5'8" and 150 pounds I was shocked that I felt really cramped on the KTM. Personally, I like the KDX better but wouldn't mind having the KTM.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I do like the ktm 200 quite a lot. The KDX has it beat for comfort and tractability, but the fun factor is on the KTM for sure. Stock its a lot snappier than the KDX, with more top end almost like a 125 on crack. Ideally you should see if you can ride one. It's a very different bike than the KDX and it's hard to say which one you will like best.
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Does all of the above hold true for a late model KTM 200? (2010 or 2012)

I always wonder about the KTM 200.
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yes. Performance wise they have only gotten better. I haven't ridden a very new model yet but they are getting consistent feedback, and while there have been improvements, no drastic changes.

For some unknown reason though KTM thinks it's wise to use a 2x4 for a seat. Literally, it's about that wide and about that hard too. The suspension out of the box is stiff to the point of being jittery. The engine is nothing short of incredible. Much more competition oriented though. Very snappy. Lots more wheel spin than the KDX.
4vman1

Post by 4vman1 »

I just sold my '03 200mxc and compared to a KDX200, the engine feels like a super quick revving 250 and the chassis like a 125. If you are a racer, the ktm is hands down a better starting point. If ever there was a bike that should have come from the manufacture with a steering stabilzer, this bike is the one. As far as comfort goes, the ktm doesn't hold a candle to the kdx. I personally don't care for the suspension ktm offered on these bikes till about '07. Are you in the PNW by any chance?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I have also ridden an '11 200XCW. It is more refined than the older 200's and it is on a larger frame. I really liked the '11. The motor is electric smooth, the power valve is so simple to adjust you can do it on the side of the trail, and the larger chassis just feels better overall to me. Check over at KTM Talk about when they changed from the smaller frame to the larger. IIRC, I think it was '08 or '09. Unfortunately, it still has the 2x4 seat.
'11 GasGas EC250R
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Maybe I'm a sick-o but I prefer the KTM seat to the KDX. Easier to move around and I don't feel like I'm sitting in the bike but on it.
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Running CEET foam on my KDX and it is a lot firmer than stock. Not KTM hard but you definitely feel on the bike instead of in it.
'11 GasGas EC250R
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Thanks. I was considering getting the Guts step seat and replacing the base foam as well hoping it would be just a tad firmer.
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

not the same comparison but I ride a hybrid and have done back to back comparison to ktm 200 XCW vs KDXKX hybrid. for me the handling and power of the ktm was very nervous. I found that I had to fight the bike a lot. It also rode much taller than my bike.

I can hang with just about any bike in the woods with my stock motor in the KX chassis. Was not the case with stock kdx chassis though.

rode a 2011 300 in an enduro two weeks ago. that was the power I am looking for but the chassis, not so much.
Rollo1

Post by Rollo1 »

I used to ride MX bikes but those were late 80s models so I don't really know how they compare....never had a KDX...but given it has been 20 years since I rode regularly I will probably lean toward the KDX.

I just found a 2002 yamaha WR250 in my price range that also looks good. Anyone know anything about them? I am going to pull the trigger very soon because these are all good deals and I don't want all of them to get away from me.
4vman1

Post by 4vman1 »

The order I'd probably pick them: 1) KTM200 2)KDX 3)WR. But hey, I'm a 2 smoker for life.
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

>|<>QBB<
Rollo1 wrote:I just found a 2002 yamaha WR250 in my price range that also looks good. Anyone know anything about them? I am going to pull the trigger very soon because these are all good deals and I don't want all of them to get away from me.
I had an '02 WR250F, for about 6 months. In a nutshell, it sucked. Heavy (and felt heavy), under powered, very hard to start when hot (no e-start), less bottom end grunt than the YZ250 I replaced it with, and nowhere near as much low end torque as my KDX. Suspension was pretty good on the WR, but everything else was a total loss.
Get what you want, but that would be one bike I'd advise not to.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I keep hearing that about the WR. Have had a few friends buy one, and turn right around and sell it after riding it a couple times.
Rollo1

Post by Rollo1 »

Wow...thanks guys. I was leaning against the WR anyway but I am definitely not going to get it now. Things I have read elsewhere support your view as well.

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your opinion.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

A plain 'ole KDX is a fine bike.

I got faster on my KDX when I put KX forks on it, by 5 or 6 minutes on a 20 mile loop that takes about an hour and a half.

I got a bit faster again and less worn out on my CR/KDX hybrid. The less worn out was more significant than the faster. There is a limit to how "fast" I'm ever going to be.

I'm a LOT less worn out on my '08 KTM200, but no faster, on that same 20 mile loop. It still takes an hour and a half.

My butt hurts, though.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy