Damper Discussion.

Got questions? We got answers....
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Damper Discussion.

Post by jafo »

Well I went out for a short ride today, only a couple hours. I wanted to see how this new damper would react. I left the damper on it's stock setting. It was'nt long before I started to adjust the tension down. It was kind of stiff steering. Probably because I'm use to more free feeling steering. After a couple clicks softer, I was amazed at how the bike reacts to the damper on corners and through ruts at higher speeds. It works better the faster you can ride. It also seems that the rear tire kicks out more now also. Not a bad thing. I think it actually helps.

Now, this all got me thinking about how the adjustments on the forks. I'm going to try to adjust my forks stiffer and see how the damper reacts to this. Has anyone tried this yet?

Jon.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Damper pics are up in my gallery!!!!!!!

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Now that's sweet! EXACTLY what I'm going for... :supz:

Have you tried going across ruts at different angles totally trusting the damper? That's what sold me...... it's just amazing what it will for your confidence level and make you a better rider. As far a setting your suspension up, just set it the way you would without having the damper in mind. If it's too soft now, set it stiffer but don't even think about the damper since they work independently of each other. Up, down is suspension and left, right is damper.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

OK, I was wondering if they played off each other.

I did hit some dry deep ruts numerous times. It does work well there. I did hit plenty of ruts, but they were dry. It really makes the bike kick the rear tire out alot more than it normaly did. Thats what stood out to me more than anything. That was at speeds over 20 mph. It was a cotroled type kick out though. Nothing that made me feel like I was'nt in control. It's kind of like a predictable slide, instead of an unpredictable slide. I like it better when I know it's going to do it instead of not knowing. It makes picking different lines easier and quicker for me.

I took it up a rocky rooty minor hill also. I'd have to unhook the damper, go up the hill then put it back on and go again to tell the difference really. I did go up the hill quicker it seemed than usual, but my skills have improved greatly also in the last month I've been riding, so I don't know how much of it was damper and how much was just me. I did'nt want to get to crazy because of my knee. It's finally improving and I did'nt want to twist it again and go back to square one.

Was it worth the money? I can't say for sure yet. I won't know until I get into a racing situation.

Jon.
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

the damper was worth the money.
you should definitely tell a difference up that rocky rooty minor hill.
the steering damper will not under any circumstance make your bike kick the rear tire out more. your suspension is not right or you are riding faster than your used too.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
parker72001

Post by parker72001 »

what exactly does a steering damper do, they are very expensive, just wondering
parker
Parker Woods, 20 years old,
'04 KDX 220R
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

89kdx200rdr wrote:the damper was worth the money.
you should definitely tell a difference up that rocky rooty minor hill.
the steering damper will not under any circumstance make your bike kick the rear tire out more. your suspension is not right or you are riding faster than your used too.
There is one hill I know I would be able to tell a difference that I have'nt tried since the damper was put on. I'm going up that one this weekend. I have always had trouble on that particular hill with the steering, it really throws the front end around. I've come close to loosing it everytime up that hill. That should be a good test for the damper.

As far as explaining the rear tire kick out. Say I'm going down a trail and doing about 15 to 20 mph. The trail is a long wide curve with sloping sides. I can hit the gas hard and it seems like it kicks the rear tire out to the left side, always to the left. But like I said, it feels like a contoled type kick out. Not like the bike is going to shoot out from under me. It just jumps out there about half a foot and then get back in line with the rest of the bike. Best way I can explian it.

Jon.