Bean oil? ---does it make your plug black?

Got questions? We got answers....
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Bean oil? ---does it make your plug black?

Post by Deseret Rider »

I think my bikes are jetted correctly----they run strong everywhere in the RPM range---and with 40 years of experience riding two strokes I am confident that I am not running an overly rich mixture. However, this is the first time I've ever run bean oil premix---and the porcelain around the center electrode is showing a (dry) black coloring---not a light chocolate brown as I believe is usually the goal??? So my question is:

Does bean oil turn the plug black----and is there any worry that the plug will 'foul' because it is so black?
The Duck of Deseret (Deseret was Utah's first name)
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

I may get shot by this, but my KDX fouls plugs at 40:1 with r50 Klotz unless its ridden like a 125 motocrosser. I've read similar issues on the web as well. Bean oil is good on parts, but very messy, and unless you're riding your bike like a 125, not totally necessary.
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

>|<>QBB<
factoryX wrote:I may get shot by this, but my KDX fouls plugs at 40:1 with r50 Klotz unless its ridden like a 125 motocrosser. I've read similar issues on the web as well. Bean oil is good on parts, but very messy, and unless you're riding your bike like a 125, not totally necessary.
Klotz R50 ain't bean oil, it's a full synthetic that has an additive to make it smell somewhat like castor. If your fouling plugs with R50, it's the normal 'ol jetting problem.

To the OP, if your using a real castor oil, having a black insulator on your plug is probably normal. Castor, though heaven for your bottom end, is a high ash, messy oil.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

I thought it was castor oil, oops. And no, any other oil and it runs clean. I can't run 32:1 with R50. At 40:1 its still iffy to ride trails. Do a google search, and I am not the only who's had issues. This oil is thick.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

R50 is meant to run 50:1. I ran it for years at that ratio with no problem until recently. It doesn't seem to like alcohol. I now run Super Techniplate and Lucas additive due to not being able to find gas without alcohol. My bikes now run better and cleaner than ever.
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

That would make sense as to why my 250r went about 2 years ago. I currently run ethanol free premium with r50, now I have a reason to do so.
jbowens2401

Post by jbowens2401 »

run amsoil interceptor at 40:1, get your jetting set to that ratio, and never look back. castor oil protects very well, but doesnt burn clean at all. its good in a screamin 125 thats torn down often for a new top end. just MHO
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

I used R50 at 40:1 with no alky pump 91 for almost 3 years. Plunking around on trails.. never fouled a single plug. Exhaust valve wasn't overly gummy when I did the top end last summer either. Dunno.
Only time I've ever had plug fouling problems was when the main jet block gasket started leaking last spring. Fixed that during the RB mods.
Switched to Amsoil Interceptor now because it costs half as much as all the main stream pre-mix oils. Can't really tell much, if any difference other than the lack of the cool smell, and the extra $$ left in my pocket.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

The cool smell is worth the $$.. Especially if you ride cleanup in your pack.
MadMax
Jedi Master Team 5150
rattlesnake_06

Post by rattlesnake_06 »

+1 on the amsoil!!! :supz:
All coiled up ready to strike