94 KDX220

Got questions? We got answers....
uggski

94 KDX220

Post by uggski »

I have an original 1994 KDX220 which I believe came with USD forks. Does anyone know which forks would be a direct replacement for them?

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Well, couple things.

1st, the kdx220 wasn't introduced until 1997. So if indeed yours is a 220, it's at least 3 years older than you previously thought. The 89-94 bikes were E series, and had single downtube frames as opposed to the perimeter frame on your bike. They look quite different.

As for the forks, it appears that someone installed either a very old set of kx500 forks, or used the forks from a 93 or 94 kdx200, which were the only model years to sport USD forks. Being that those are 41mm USD forks, there is nothing you could swap right in that would really be much of an upgrade. If you're interested in a fork swap, you'd be in the same boat as someone swapping out their stock forks. IE: you need a complete front end, and swap the stem from your lower triple to the donor front end.
uggski

Post by uggski »

I'm in the UK and I believe that the 220 was introduced here in 94. The engine and frame numbers both indicate a 220.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Ah, yes. I see that now.

I honestly don't know a whole lot about the UK models. It is certainly possible that you are correct. Either way, a fork swap will be the same as for the later model 200/220. Check out our fork conversion section for some good info. The only direct swap forks would still be early KX500 forks and probably not much of an upgrade. If you can source a complete late model kx500 front end, it will bolt on. You'd need the entire front from triples to wheel. Your brake caliper will most likely work though. Anything else will require swapping the steering stem over.
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

i have done the kx 125 fork swap. but if i were to choose again, unless you are a heavy rider or aggresive rider. the amount of time and money involve to tune the new fork just dont warrant it. the oem conventional fork really sucks big time. but i can see yours is the oem usd fork with no rebound cliker. but it perform quite well if tune up a bit with spring, oil level play or switch to heavier oil for slower rebound, for weekend trail riding.
A true KDX customizer!!
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

My weight around 95/96kg & i have left the oe fork springs alone as i mostly only ride light tight single track trails i find this set up perfect for these type of trails,i dont do much `air time` & dont ride like i`ve stole it but the only upgrade i would try is perhaps swaping the oe springs for that of the xr400.. in stock form the kdx is a perfect play bike & pretty much works well for what it was intended for...well for me anyhow.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

It definitely depends on what you want to do with the bike. When the trails open up a bit, i ride pretty aggressively. MX forks helped me be much more confident going fast on the KDX. It's a compromise though, on the tight twisty nasty trails the bike is more jittery with the mx forks. Not nearly as plush. For me it was definitely worth it.
uggski

Post by uggski »

Thanks for the replies. he only reason I was going to change the forks was to try sort some rebound ou,t because as you said, there are no rebound clickers. I'm about 82Kg and find that on some really rocky sections the front seems to bind up a bit. Would stiffer springs sort this? Other than that it is really plush. :cool:
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

maybe some 1996 and above xr400 fork spring .38kg and above will help. heavier oil weight eg:20wt. set the oil level to the minimum. (min sir space). you are not that heavy at 82kg but you will also have to consider the weight with your full gear and load you going to carry on trail. you can also play around with the preload spacer about 8mm to 10mm. some riders mess with the base vlave shim by changing either to a single stage or double stage stack. in your case you want a stiffer fork. you will want a single stage with more shim added.

I will try to play around with oil weight and height and if you can find cheap used stiffer spring before turing to a fork swap. less time and money involve. some serious riders here actually perfer the KLX300 fork swap as it is also a direct swap and dont involve much fine tuning of the fork later on. no mod needed and can also used back the wheel and caqliper. no rebound cliker though. they are quite the same as your usd fork now.
A true KDX customizer!!