Transmission Main Shaft Seal?

Got questions? We got answers....
Keith T

Transmission Main Shaft Seal?

Post by Keith T »

I have a well worn 1997 KDX200. I’ve noticed that after it sits unridden for several days or weeks, the transmission fluid level drops proportionally to the length of time that it sits. It does not leak anything on my garage floor.

I also noticed that when I fire it up after sitting for the time mentioned above, that it smokes an awful lot and throttle response is poor until it has run for a few minutes. A friend has diagnosed this as a worn transmission main shaft seal. Do you guys/gals think that this is correct? If yes, how bad of a job is it to replace the seal?

Thanks,
Keith
Last edited by Keith T on 08:25 am Nov 17 2011, edited 1 time in total.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

That sounds about right. If it is leaking that bad it seems it should run poorly also. To fix the seal you will need to split the cases and you should also do main bearings while your in there. Splitting the cases is not that bad if you feel up to it but many feel that they can not do it them self so they higher it done. If you don't want to get into it your self just about and good bike shop should be able to do it for you.

It might be worth making sure the transmission vent is not plugged and building pressure in there before you tear into it.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

Just to be precise about the terminology, it's not the transmission shaft seal, it's the right side crank seal that would cause these symptoms. The transmission fluid is seeping past the right side crank seal and into the crank case, making for a very oily bottom end at startup. That's where the smoke is coming from. Regardless, the solution is what rbates9 said. Good luck!
David Eckel
Keith T

Post by Keith T »

Makes sense. Thanks for the help.
Keith
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
dfeckel wrote:Just to be precise about the terminology, it's not the transmission shaft seal, it's the right side crank seal that would cause these symptoms. The transmission fluid is seeping past the right side crank seal and into the crank case, making for a very oily bottom end at startup. That's where the smoke is coming from. Regardless, the solution is what rbates9 said. Good luck!
Yes, what he said. :grin:

I was going by the dry floor part and assumed he meant the crank seals.