Trials tire, I'm impressed

Got questions? We got answers....
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Trials tire, I'm impressed

Post by bcdonyo »

After a few years of being skeptical, I finally tried an MT43 on the 200 and it works very well. It even works good in the sand. Braking on loose downhills are the only weak point so far, but I have a new Metzler Unicross on the front which sticks like glue. If it wears as good as people say I will stick with it on my smaller bikes. I ride my 200 mostly in slower technical trails, with sharp jagged rocks. With the auto clutch and trials tire, the little KDX works awsome, I can't think of another bike I'd rather be on. I appriciate all the info I've gotten from this great site. :prayer:
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Impressed too even after 2 years. Most of the time I run rear trial tire, sometimes knobby. Trial Tire on a kdx is so much fun. Traction is amazing even in the mud and wonderful on wet rocks. Trial tire may not suit to your riding terrain or riding style...but i'm skeptical :wink: . Trial tire will last at least twice or three time long than a knobby because the trial tire do not overspin. All the power of the engine is transmitted at 100% to the soft compound tire. Also the soft sidewalls will add comfort to your ride. 30 inches deep mud holes and breaking on a wet grass track are two places where trial tire are not at his best. I suggest running a HD tube.

Need a better review than mine :lol:

Read this http://www.gasgasrider.org/html/trials_tire_test.html
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Awesome :).

I'll never go back to knobs. If I can ever manage to wear out this MT43 I plan on trying a D803.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I have thought about trying one but then I think about how I ride and figure it just won't work like I want/need for most of my riding. When me and my buddies ride it is balls out race mode each loop. A lot of power sliding, rear wheel steering, and point-n-shoot situations. Maybe I'll try one on my '90 after I get the 250 conversion done. The '90 will be mainly for those days out by myself, taking it somewhat easy, out exploring, a long ways from home. The 250 will be my hare scramble/MX/rippin' bike.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:I have thought about trying one but then I think about how I ride and figure it just won't work like I want/need for most of my riding. When me and my buddies ride it is balls out race mode each loop. A lot of power sliding, rear wheel steering, and point-n-shoot situations. Maybe I'll try one on my '90 after I get the 250 conversion done. The '90 will be mainly for those days out by myself, taking it somewhat easy, out exploring, a long ways from home. The 250 will be my hare scramble/MX/rippin' bike.
I was also reluctant because of how aggresive I use to ride, and what my "A" desert racing pals said. But, I bought the KDX for technical trail riding, usually with my girl friend, and for that purpose the autoclutch and trials tire are perfect. Hate to admit it but I'm just an old trail rider with a bad back now and having fun is more important than going fast.

I don't think a trials tire would do well for aggressive riding on a high horsepower bike, and I wouldn't consider one for my 650 Berg that I save for fast open desert rides.

I might try one for dual sport riding, seems like the MT43 would be okay on the highway with more pressure. I might put one one my ATK605 when the D606 is worn.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I've put quite a few highway miles on my MT43. At about 14lbs it does quite well on asphalt.

As for riding balls out on one, I'm plenty fast and I have no complaints about it. If I'm riding more open trails, I just put a couple more pounds in it and let it rip.