kickstart and power valve issues

Got questions? We got answers....
Jess10

kickstart and power valve issues

Post by Jess10 »

Hey guys i just joined up like the site and have a qusetion you guys might be able to help me with. I have a 97 kdx 200 the kick starter started slipping tonight so I pulled the clutch side cover to fix it I dont see anything wrong with it the teeth on the ratchet and other gear look ok I figure its probably the spring is weak let me know what you think maybe its a common issue.

The other issue I have is with the power valve, when i bought the bike i took it apart and found the governer lever that actuates the power valve had broken so i replaced it 6 months later now i take it apart again and its broken again what would cause this to break like this?

when i reassembled it I didnt see a dot to line it up with I dont understand how you line it up so you just turn it all the way closed and put it on?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

step 1 get a manual
step 2 did you support the shaft when putting the claw on the actuator? the one with the left treadled nut. if not that's why it's broken again.
step 3 fish out ALL the broken pieces (remove clutch basket is recommended) unless you enjoy spending lots of money on future repairs....
ask me how i know.
there is a dot on the claw and a dot / line on the shaft.
Jess10

Post by Jess10 »

I have a manual but it doesnt detail it very well but i just found a thread here on how to set it up i was looking at the wrong mark I feel like a moron.

I did support the shaft while taking it apart by holding the shaft with a wrench, im assuming it broke becuase i had it lined up to the wrong mark i was looking at a dot on the inside gear now i see the line.

I cleaned everything out with brake clean and fished all the metal out basket is out becuase I had to take the kick starter shaft out anyway.

The bike seemed to run well even without the power valve but i guess i dont know any different
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

when it works u ll feel the difference, kinda like a mini turbo