E series kdx200 EE head scratcher

Got questions? We got answers....
marrk_us
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

E series kdx200 EE head scratcher

Post by marrk_us »

Bought what was advertised as an kdx200 e series botton end off ebay a couple of years ago to eventually rebuild for possible use in a hybrid. Had today off and figured I needed some therapy so I headed out to the garage to tear into the engine.

Removed the side cover to pull the flywheel off, I've pulled many e series kdx flywheels in the past. Grabbed my breaker bar and socket only to find out the normal socket was WAY too large. Mmmm, Well I just turned 50 so I chaulked it up to being my "first senior moment" (strange, I also seem to remember kdx flywheels being held on with a nut, not a tiny bolt....this getting old s--t isn't going to be pretty). I get the bolt off, grab my trusty kdx flywheel puller, thread it into the flywheel, rachet the center bolt in to remove the flywheel (like i've done many times before) and run out of threads and didn't budge the flywheel. I know I have the right puller, but the center shaft is no longer long enough to push against the crank to remove the flywheel?? I don't remember getting the puller wet so it shouldn't have shrunk. WTF? I'm I ready to be put in a home already?

Checked the engine number, came up with "KH1 DX200 EE 001919" so the guy off ebay didn't sell me a kx125 engine ( my first thought), so what gives. It has a water pump right on the side so it's not an older air cooled kdx? E must mean E series, so I check it against my 1990 engine. Ah, the 1990 engine is stamped DX200 AE not EE. So what's the diff?

After calling the local dealer (no help at all), and a google search (also no help), I did a search on this site but found no mention of the differences, finally I went to RonAyers sight and started comparing part numbers. It seems that the first 4000 or so e series engines had a different crank.
DX200 "EE" crank
And the later "AE" engines went to this crank end

Mystery solved. The parts fische listed the differences, but it had me going for a while. Senior moment my butt! Now where's my Geritol?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Dang, sorry I missed this. I could have saved you the time and told you about the different cranks.

I use the regular kdx flywheel puller on my 89, but have to place a small socket inside the puller, else it just runs out of threads without doing anything, as you mention.