Harbor Freight bike stand or lift?

Got questions? We got answers....
edog600
Supporting Member

Harbor Freight bike stand or lift?

Post by edog600 »

Was thinking of getting one. The stand looks like it might be too high but the lift (the cheap one) lowers to 11.5". Anyone have one of these? I'm talking the $30 or so ones.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I have the standard one. Works pretty good and is just the right height IMO.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
edog600
Supporting Member

Post by edog600 »

You have the non adjustable one?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Yep.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
edog600
Supporting Member

Post by edog600 »

Cool. Maybe ill just get that one. Thought it'd b too high. Adjustable one got bad reviews. Thnx
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

I have three of the lift stands. Purchased with a coupon out of cycle mag for less than $20 each. They have been fairly good stands. They work well and have been well worth the price.

The assembly is somewhat a pain. You have to kind of mix and match some washers to make the linkage space out right for proper operation. I figure this is probably the biggest reason for bad reviews. I did have one that the foot lever bent, but HB exchanged it no questions asked.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

A friend of mine has a couple and likes them for the price. I am going to pick one up the next time I am near a HF store.

I built a lift stand from the instructions on the other KDX site, and the HF ones work just as well and look better.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

i use one of the step stands (about $30) on a daily basis and it works fine. it's maybe a bit shaky but i have never dropped a bike from it. but watch the air hose, it can get stuck under the step, and when you yank it the stand drops and the bike falls!
1999 KDX240 big bore street legal, 2008 KLX300R, 2002 XR250R stock, 1985 XL600R stock, 2001 KDX220 bone stock street legal, 1988 VN750 dresser, 1975 RD350 stock, 1983 GL650I Sliverwing Interstate with sidecar, 1975 Kawasaki F11 (early KDX!), about 15 other bikes that come and go!
plotski

Post by plotski »

I have one of the cheap(less than $20) lift stands and have had no problems with mine at all. :grin:
Wherever you go......there you are

1993 KDX250
1997 KDX220 Street Legal !!
edog600
Supporting Member

Post by edog600 »

Well I ended up with the lift stand. Found a coupon for it for 19.99. I haven't pulled it out of the box yet though.
TurboStew

Post by TurboStew »

Best mod I did to this stand is to relocate the locking pin chain to the top deck with a tek screw, I always found the darn chain and pin under the base after I lifted the bike, now it is hanging high ready for insertion :grin:
backfire1

Post by backfire1 »

I also just purchased this stand. It helps if you grind the bottom edge of the bar that is connected to the foot pedal. This helps the stand hold the bike up while u bend over and put the safety pin in. When I got the stand it would not hold the bike up at all with out the safty pin in. I have used stands like this in the past and I knew something was not right. The arm of the stand that you step on to raise the bike, hits the ground. If you grind off a 1/4 in. of the corner that hits the ground the bike will stay up with out the safety pin in. You should still use the safety pin but it is easier to put in if you don't have to hold the bike up and put the pin in at the same time. Hope this all makes since. I think the stand is great for what u pay for it.
SOARSKI
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by SOARSKI »

>|<>QBB<
backfire1 wrote:I also just purchased this stand. It helps if you grind the bottom edge of the bar that is connected to the foot pedal. This helps the stand hold the bike up while u bend over and put the safety pin in. When I got the stand it would not hold the bike up at all with out the safety pin in. I have used stands like this in the past and I knew something was not right. The arm of the stand that you step on to raise the bike, hits the ground. If you grind off a 1/4 in. of the corner that hits the ground the bike will stay up with out the safety pin in. You should still use the safety pin but it is easier to put in if you don't have to hold the bike up and put the pin in at the same time. Hope this all makes since. I think the stand is great for what u pay for it.
Hmmm....mine held the bike up without the pin in without any modifications. The bike stand works fine. Although there are better stands(more sturdy, smoother lift), for the price its hard to beat. Happy with mine.