spoke torque wrench

Got questions? We got answers....
budpat105

spoke torque wrench

Post by budpat105 »

while cleaning my bike I found about a dozen loose spokes on the rear wheel, I got them all tightened but while doing it I wondered if anyone has used a spoke torque wrench.Do you just tighten them all the same? Does it make truing a wheel easy?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

i think a torque wrench is great and make life easier IF you relace your wheel COMPLETELY with new spokes and nipples. If they're old and rusted out, seized... ain't gonna do you any good IMHO.
I relaced my rear wheel without one and, with time and patience, (along a tutorial on thumper talk) it was pretty easy. I fine tuned them by hear, making sure i got the same "ding" sound when hitting it with a screwdriver. Not perfect but 1 year later it's still good.
tirebiter

Post by tirebiter »

I have several bikes and find a spoke torque wrench comes in handy, and worth the price.
If you don't ride that often, only have one bike and find the cost of a torque wrench prohibitive, tightening by sound & feel works ok. Remember, too tight can cause as much damage as too loose. Squeeze two of the spokes together just below were they cross, should still have a teeny bit of springy flex left.

Pit posse unit works nice..
http://pitposse.com/potowrkit.html

One thing I found kinda strange- The KDX manual lists the spoke torque at 13 inch lbs...Most dirt bikes range between 35 to 50... 13 is barely hand tight- hmmmm... does the KDX have unusually soft hubs??
If I can't do it, I'm sure someone else can!