DOT tire suggestions ?

Got questions? We got answers....
SpudRider

Post by SpudRider »

>|QBB<[/url]
diymirage wrote:allright, thanks guys, i think im gonna look into the D606s

now, since i still have the worn out whatever tire i run on the back, here is an interesting question, how can i stud it for winteruse?
(i wannt say i read somehwere about someone putting carriage bolts in there, that a good idea)

also one a side note, i wonder if someone has a studded front tire laying around i could get for cheap)
You can't go wrong with the D606; it's a great tire. :grin:

I suggest you check out the Kold Kutter ice screws. :wink:

http://koldkutter.com/catalog/products.php

A friend of mine prefers to install the 1/2 inch Kold Kutters up front, and 1/2 inch by 10mm head, sheet metal screws in the back.

You might notice, my friend has a Kenda, TrakMaster rear tire. :mrgreen:

Spud :grin:
98 KDX 220, 05 Honda XR650L, 06 Zongshen 200GY-2
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

so, the kold kutter looks like a regular screw
is there anything about it that makes it wear less then a regular screw would under these circumstances?

i noticed the screws cover all off the sidewall studs but only about 1/3rd of the center thread studs

whats the reasoning behind that?

and finally, would this affect the road legal status of my bike?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

The cold cutters are harder than normal screws and have a taller head that is almost crown shape. And as far as riding it on the street, you will not enjoy it. The screws will wear off quickly and it would wash out VERY easy on pavement.
SpudRider

Post by SpudRider »

I agree with RBates regarding the construction of the Kold Kutter screws, and their performance on the street. :wink: These screws are designed for ice racing, or riding off road in snowy, icy conditions. The Kold Kutter screws would be treacherous on pavement. My friend rides off road in Alaska with the Kold Kutter screws; I would not recommend these screws for riding on pavement, even if they are legal in Michigan. :shock:

The screws on each sidewall knob prevent the bike from sliding out during turns on ice. Fewer screws are required in the center of the tread because the bike is more upright while riding on those knobs. Also, my friend enjoys spinning the rear wheel, so he placed even fewer screws on the center knobs of the rear tire. :wink: Installing more screws is more expensive, and more time consuming, so the rider tailors screw placement for his individual riding style, and budget. :wink:

diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

thanks for all the info guys

this is the first bike i ever had in this climate that seems like it would be fun in the snow
i wonder if they make snowtires for bikes?

you know, last winter we had a snowstorm so bad i couldnt even gt my AWD charger into the street, it would just lift up on the snow and all 4 wheels would be off the ground
i ended up putting on my hunting gear and walking to work but i was thinking it would be pretty fun to ride a bike in those conditions (heavy snow on tarmac)

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I would say you need another set of rims for "snow tires". Anything you put on it that will make it go on ice and snow will probably be the end of you on dry roads. Another thing to consider about riding on the streets with your bike is all of the salt or calcium that gets spread on the roads getting into every crevice on your bike. :partyman:
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

mhhh, this is becomming a hassle

im not too worried about the salt, i usually stop by the side of the house and hose down the bike after every ride anyway
(with me living in a bi-level that may become an issue during the winter though, i'd hate to be coming down that hill and not be able to stop ride right into the lake...though im sure that would take the salt off too)

i wonder if anyone has a set of rollers for sale i could get for cheap?

diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

so im looking at the D606s and i have a silly question...what size should i run ?

its been a long time since i bought tires for a bike but back then it was a simple width/rim deal...for instance 3.75/18 was the widest tire i could fit on my TSX
now, its seems like they added an extra dimension :oops:
so, what should i be looking to buy ?

SpudRider

Post by SpudRider »

>|<>QBB<
diymirage wrote:so im looking at the D606s and i have a silly question...what size should i run ?

its been a long time since i bought tires for a bike but back then it was a simple width/rim deal...for instance 3.75/18 was the widest tire i could fit on my TSX
now, its seems like they added an extra dimension :oops:
so, what should i be looking to buy ?
I suggest you get the smallest D606 tire available for your rear wheel, the size 120/90-18 tire. The front tire is only available in size 90/90-21. :wink:

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecat ... .asp?id=14