Advice needed on a stripped bolt.

Got questions? We got answers....
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Advice needed on a stripped bolt.

Post by Fatherof2 »

So I am trying to remove my skid plate, and one of the 3 Allen bolts is stripped. I tried using an EZ out drill bit, but it just seemed to make the hole even rounder and wider.

Should I :

1. Just cut the head of the bolt off? It is flush against the skid plate, and I am afraid I will damage the plate.

2. Try to cut a groove in the head, and use a screwdriver? The head is pretty messed up, and Im not sure that I can cut a propper groove.

Thanks for any advice!

David

kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

In situations like that, what I usually do is drill out the bolt head. Even if you can't keep the drill bit centered exactly, it will be weaken the bolt head enough enough to pop it off. If the bolt head spins (as it might be doing) you can jamb something around it to hold it. Try a smaller bit first as a pilot and go from there.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Agreed. Use a drill bit of slightly larger diameter than the shaft of the bolt. Drill through the head until the head of the bolt falls off.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I'd notch it before you fugg it up any worse

Use a dremel with a fiber cut off wheel
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoKDX220r »

Socket Head cap screw (Allens bolts) are most of the time graded to high to be drilled, just do what Mr. Wibbens said, use a dremel with cut off wheel!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I would try a chisel to un screw the bolt enough to get some type of pliers on it. You will want a sharp chisel and cut in to the side like you were trying to un screw it. If that will not work then the drill bit method should work. Allen head bolts do tend to be harder but a good bit should go right thru it. (Not a cheap Habor Freight bit. A REAL drill bit.) If it doesn't want to drill out you might have to hike up your skirt and set down your purse so you can push harder. :wink:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I'd notch it before you fugg it up any worse

Use a dremel with a fiber cut off wheel
Yep, that would be first move. If that doesn't work I would grind the head of it off. Remember, it's a skid plate. So what if it gets some scratches or nicks on it?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:I would try a chisel to un screw the bolt enough to get some type of pliers on it. You will want a sharp chisel and cut in to the side like you were trying to un screw it. If that will not work then the drill bit method should work. Allen head bolts do tend to be harder but a good bit should go right thru it. (Not a cheap Habor Freight bit. A REAL drill bit.) If it doesn't want to drill out you might have to hike up your skirt and set down your purse so you can push harder. :wink:
agreed, the good old chisel pretty much always works.
JohnPainter

Post by JohnPainter »

If the bolt thats stripped is the one in your photo, it looks like you have enough space to get a vice grip on it and then unscrew it. All the options the others have suggested are realistic. By the way you don't need to use a bolt extractor unless you snap the bolt off flush, if that happened I'd still cut a straight slot with my Dremel before using the extractor since they have a bad habit of breaking unless you get it dead centered on the bolt. If you just wanted to drill of the top of the stripped bolt head so you'd be able to get a better grip with vice grips that would work too. Good luck, it's not as bad as you think, at least it's not one of those water pump cover bolts snapped off! :rolleyes:
"They'll talk to ya and talk to ya and talk to ya about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." George ~ Easy Rider
Current: KLR 650, KDX 200
Previous:
1974 Indian MX 100
1980 Yamaha IT 175
1983 Honda CR 125
1982 Suzuki PE 175
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

I have had to grind the head off a couple of these button head bolts already. You can get the remaining part of the bolt out with vice grips. Replace with new. Done. It works pretty good. I have a couple grinder marks in my skid plate here and there, but that's just part of it.
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE