What is that 'ticking' noise?

Got questions? We got answers....
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

What is that 'ticking' noise?

Post by Deseret Rider »

I just bought two KDX's----an '03 220 and an '04 200. The 200 engine emits (what I would say) a fairly pronounced metalic 'ticking' noise coming up from the engine----while the 220 is very quiet by comparison.

Is that 'ticking' something I should worry about? What should I do about it? Other than that the 200 runs real strong (as does the 220. I am very pleased with both bikes----don't need both---but will end up passing one or the other down to family members-------
The Duck of Deseret (Deseret was Utah's first name)
liv4fishin

Post by liv4fishin »

I bought a 2004 200 this spring, and it is noisy also. I put a new Weisco piston in, but that didn't help the noise. It seems like it is either the kips or primary drive gear noise. It runs great, the noise never gets worse, so I have just gotten used to it.
Also, the rattle goes away off idle or when under load. Does yours do that as well?
Four out of five voices in my head tell me to go for it!
2004 KDX 200
2003 Shadow Spirit
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

A rattling noise that goes away above idle or under load is just the KIPS mechanism doing what it does. Nothing to worry about. It does indeed seem to be louder on some kdx's than others.
cj555rally
Supporting Member

Post by cj555rally »

I have a 1996 200,fully rebuilt engine,bearings,re-plated and new piston etc.
Now the rattle is even louder! What exactly is rattling in there??

And yes it goes away above idle.......
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The kips valves. There is no pressure on the spring at idle, so the gears and rods and associated components rattle around in there. If they aren't rattling, something is probably dirty, gummed up, or broken!
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Deseret Rider »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:The kips valves. There is no pressure on the spring at idle, so the gears and rods and associated components rattle around in there. If they aren't rattling, something is probably dirty, gummed up, or broken!

The 220's that I've heard don't rattle like that---???????? I'll pay more attention now to what happens under load or at higher RMP----
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

220's do it as well. Maybe the ones you have heard haven't cleaned their KIPS in quite a while.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
SS109 wrote:220's do it as well. Maybe the ones you have heard haven't cleaned their KIPS in quite a while.
+1
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Deseret Rider »

I'll pay more attention now to what happens under load or at higher RMP----[/quote]

Paying closer attention now----I don't know that I'd call the noise a 'rattle'---but more like a 'fast' ticking----the individual ticks being faster than the engine rpm. That ticking does not go away under load---but seems to intensify with increased rpm. I don't have a shop manual and the owners manual doesn't give much info on KIPS-- Where can I go to read up on how that works?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

now THAT ^^^, sounds like piston slap or a bad bearing.

I highly advise purchasing a service manual. Best investment you'll make since the purchase of your KDX.