New KDX 220 Owner: Silencer Identification Question

Got questions? We got answers....
SpudRider

New KDX 220 Owner: Silencer Identification Question

Post by SpudRider »

I recently bought a 1998, KDX 220. This is the third bike in my stable, and the first Kawasaki I have ever owned. :grin: The first owner installed a Baja Designs, Dual Sport Kit, so my bike is licensed for street use in Idaho. :mrgreen: Examining the paperwork and receipts that came with this bike, I discovered my motorcycle has the following parts installed.

94-96 KX 500 Forks (43mm) and triple tree, with new fork seals
Boyesen Power Reeds
Pro Circuit Platinum Header
Wiseco 750M-Series Piston
Fly Racing Aero Tapered Handlebars
Ram Ball Mount
Moose Racing/MSR Skid Plate
Moose Racing Tool Bag
Devol Radiator Guards
Twin Air Filter
Factory Effex Seat Cover

However, after examining my silencer, I could not find any writing on it to identify it. Poking a coat hanger into the end of the silencer, I hit an obstruction, so I assume this silencer has an internal spark arrestor. Can anyone help me identify this silencer? Thank you. :grin:

Spud :grin:
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I've seen alot of different silencers on the KDX but I've never seen THAT one before!
'00 KDX 220R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Me either. Looks nice though :).
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Looks like the Answer Spark Arrestor/Silencer I have on my WR. Might as well repack it. If it's a spark arrestor it will have that stamped on it somewhere per USFS rules.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I don't know about the silencer.
Is that a Fredette shorty kick start lever?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

looks like an older pc
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Agreed, looks exactly like my old pro circuit S/A.
SpudRider

Post by SpudRider »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:Looks like the Answer Spark Arrestor/Silencer I have on my WR. Might as well repack it. If it's a spark arrestor it will have that stamped on it somewhere per USFS rules.
I wish to thank everyone for his help. :grin: I was very surprised to discover I could not find any writing whatsoever stamped on this silencer. :shock: This silencer does not have a screen installed for a spark arrestor. While poking inside the outlet hole of the silencer, I did hit an obstruction several inches from the end, but I can't see into the silencer to identify the nature of the obstruction. :roll:

98 KDX 220, 05 Honda XR650L, 06 Zongshen 200GY-2
SpudRider

Post by SpudRider »

>|QBB<[/url]
KarlP wrote:I don't know about the silencer.
Is that a Fredette shorty kick start lever?
I'm afraid I don't know. :hmm: Here's a better photograph of my kickstarter. :grin:

SpudRider

Post by SpudRider »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:looks like an older pc
>|<>QBB<
factoryX wrote:Agreed, looks exactly like my old pro circuit S/A.
Thank you, gentlemen! :grin: The previous owner installed a Pro Circuit Platinum header, so he might have installed a PC silencer, also. :wink: Does the old, Pro Circuit, spark arrestor lack writing stamped on it? Also, does the old, Pro Circuit silencer employ a spark arrestor similar to the FMF Turbinecore? Can someone help me find repacking instructions for this silencer?

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
SpudRider wrote:>|<>QBB<Can someone help me find repacking instructions for this silencer?

On one end or the other, or both there should be screws. Take them out and give it a tug. If it does not want to come try the other end. It probably will pull apart from the front.

About a third from the back on the bottom it looks like a drain. There might be some sort of spark arrester or baffle in there.

As far as what to use and how tight or loose to put it in there, You will get many opinions.
SpudRider

Post by SpudRider »

>|<
rbates9 wrote:On one end or the other, or both there should be screws. Take them out and give it a tug. If it does not want to come try the other end. It probably will pull apart from the front.

About a third from the back on the bottom it looks like a drain. There might be some sort of spark arrester or baffle in there.

As far as what to use and how tight or loose to put it in there, You will get many opinions.
Thank you. :grin: I think I might have something similar to a Pro Circuit, Model 267, spark arrestor, as shown at the following website. :wink:

http://www.mammothmotorsports.com/Pro_C ... 2595-.html

The screws on my spark arrestor are located at the front, near the midpipe. The rear of my spark arrestor is riveted, and probably does not need to be removed for repacking. This design appears to be very similar to the design of the FMF, Universal Spark Arrestor I have installed on my 196cc, 4-stroke, trail bike. To repack the FMF spark arrestor, I remove the front screws, hold the midpipe, and tap the cannister off the back of the arrestor. Then I wrap the repacking material around the midpipe, and insert the midpipe into the TurbineCore spark arrestor, which remains in the cannister. For the FMF silencer, the screw on the bottom of the silencer holds the TurbineCore spark arrestor in place. :wink:

factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Eh no, it had a sticker stating it was legal for trail use which had worn partially off. Why I opted to rob the upper section and fitted it to a trx250r FMF Q silencer, came out fairly clean.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: New KDX 220 Owner: Silencer Identification Question

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|QBB<[/url]
SpudRider wrote:I recently bought a 1998, KDX 220. This is the third bike in my stable, and the first Kawasaki I have ever owned. :grin: The first owner installed a Baja Designs, Dual Sport Kit, so my bike is licensed for street use in Idaho. :mrgreen: Examining the paperwork and receipts that came with this bike, I discovered my motorcycle has the following parts installed.

94-96 KX 500 Forks (43mm) and triple tree, with new fork seals
Boyesen Power Reeds
Pro Circuit Platinum Header
Wiseco 750M-Series Piston
Fly Racing Aero Tapered Handlebars
Ram Ball Mount
Moose Racing/MSR Skid Plate
Moose Racing Tool Bag
Devol Radiator Guards
Twin Air Filter
Factory Effex Seat Cover

However, after examining my silencer, I could not find any writing on it to identify it. Poking a coat hanger into the end of the silencer, I hit an obstruction, so I assume this silencer has an internal spark arrestor. Can anyone help me identify this silencer? Thank you. :grin:

have you looked on the opposite side for the label?

That's where carvr's is
:wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
SpudRider

Re: New KDX 220 Owner: Silencer Identification Question

Post by SpudRider »

>|QBB<[/url]
Mr. Wibbens wrote: have you looked on the opposite side for the label?

That's where carvr's is
:wink:
Yes, I have closely examined the entire silencer, Mr. Wibbins. :wink: My bike is a 1998 model, and all vestiges of any sticker are long gone, without a trace of its possible existence. Also, the silencer does not have any writing whatsover stamped onto it. :? However, my silencer surely looks like the Pro Circuit silencer shown in the ad below. :wink:

http://www.mammothmotorsports.com/Pro_C ... 2595-.html

I think this silencer might be the predecessor to the current, Pro Circuit, Nature Friendly silencer.

factoryX

Post by factoryX »

That's it. I don't believe it had any stamping on it either, just the sticker..
SpudRider

Post by SpudRider »

>|<>QBB<
factoryX wrote:That's it. I don't believe it had any stamping on it either, just the sticker..
Thank you for your help, X! I'm sure we have identified my silencer. :grin: This silencer is well constructed, and in excellent condition, so I am pleased to keep it on my bike. :cool:

Have you repacked your silencer? I looked on the Pro Circuit website for repacking instructions, but i couldn't find any. However, I'm pretty sure I should repack this silencer the same way I repack my FMF TurbineCore 2. To repack the FMF spark arrestor, I remove the front screws, hold the midpipe, and tap the cannister off the back of the arrestor. Then I wrap the repacking material around the midpipe, and insert the midpipe into the TurbineCore spark arrestor, which remains in the cannister. For the FMF silencer, the screw on the bottom of the silencer holds the TurbineCore spark arrestor in place.

factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Unbolt the mid pipe and the packing just slides out. I don't remember if the core comes out or not.