support the kips shaft

Got questions? We got answers....
stomlinson

support the kips shaft

Post by stomlinson »

I have noticed a few times people say support the kips shaft what r we talking about? I just removed my kips and didnt support much?????[/i]
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

then you're screwed.
DO NOT RUN till you replace the LEVER-COMP,GOVERNOR. Unless you like spending a lot of money on expensive repairs...
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

They mean to use a wrench to hold the lever still while you crank on the nut at the top of the shaft. If you don't, you risk breaking off the part of the shaft that engages the governor inside the inner clutch cover. If that breaks, then the shaft can't turn and your powervalves won't open. Plus, you'll have to fish out the piece of the shaft that broke so it doesn't chew up your transmission/clutch/primary gears.

It's easy enough to determine if you broke the shaft. Reattach the lever on top of the shaft and try moving the lever outwards to mimic its movement when the powervalves open. It should feel spring loaded and snap back automatically. That indicates that the shaft is still engaged with the governor.
David Eckel
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

it'll tell you if it's broken, but won't tell you if it's only fractured.
The part cost less than 6 bux for a new one, if you haven't done what dfeckel described, I'd replace it, or pay the price down the line on the trail.
stomlinson

Post by stomlinson »

Well ya im a mechanic of course I noticed the small flat spot on the shaft how else would u hold the shaft as u undid the nut, but why the difficult description why not say hold the shaft with a small wrench as u undo the nut at the top
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

If you can get a good bite on the shaft, then that will work fine. I have simply found it easier to hold the lever on top of the shaft instead.
David Eckel