Can anyone reccomend a good chain lube?

Got questions? We got answers....
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

or

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Yes, you do lube an O-Ring chain. The grease that's captured with the O-Ring only keeps the pivot point between each link lubricated. The little roller that actually touches the sprocket doesn't get lubricated from that grease. It's only lubed when you apply lube to the chain. Lubing the chain also helps keep it from rusting.

I like to use Maxima chain wax. It leaves a hard film that doesn't attract dirt like some of the clear/sticky lubes do.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

The only lube required on an O ring chain is to keep it from rusting. No lube is required on the rollers, nor will any stay long enough to actually do anything.
Ontario, Canada
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

uh-oh, here we go again...

I've gone both ways on lubing o-ring chains.

Lots of my riding buddies use various chain lubes
I used to take it off and soak it in chain saw bar and chain lube and then hang it up and wipe off every visible trace.

A chain and sprocket set would last about a year

For the last couple of years I've done nothing at all. Set the tension once after initial stretch and leave it alone.

A chain and sprocket set lasts about a year.

I cut the links open on a worn out chain a few years ago. Lube on the outside of the links isn't doing anything but attracting dirt and grinding up the sprockets.

All IMO, ya know.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote: Lube on the outside of the links isn't doing anything but attracting dirt and grinding up the sprockets.

All IMO, ya know.
Good thing your opinion does not matter in the REAL world :wink:

I rode a couple hunnerd mile in the rain on Sunday

On Monday about 20 miles down the road my bike starts getting a bad vibration. I pulled into the next town and when I was going slow I could feel and hear that it was my chain.

It was all kinked up and dry as a bone

A little lube and I was back on the road, with the chain running smooth again
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

Now if you'd sprayed some penetrating oil on to keep the rust off...
Ontario, Canada
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

..............Or been on a KDX.......
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
zomby woof wrote:Now if you'd sprayed some penetrating oil on to keep the rust off...
Never seen a gold chain rust yet
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
tirebiter

Post by tirebiter »

This thread's titled "Can anyone recommend a good chain lube?"

My question is this: If you don't use chain lube, why bother to post once, let alone multiple times?

BTW, I ride single track just about every weekend and get at least 5 years out of a clean, well lubed chain & sprocket set.
If I can't do it, I'm sure someone else can!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
tirebiter wrote:
BTW, I ride single track just about every weekend and get at least 5 years out of a clean, well lubed chain & sprocket set.
Now that's the funniest thing I've read all week. What do you consider "riding single track"? Pulling it out and running a loop around the house one time before putting the bike away? 5 years from a chain/sprocket set is unrealistic.

Wibbens runs a non o-ring, last I checked. These definitely need lube. o-ring chains technically do not, except for to prevent surface rust. I do not like the extra drag from an o-ring chain, nor do I like the fact that they generally last no longer than a properly maintained non o-ring version.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I run a gold RK ring chain on my Strom

typically get 10k before it is shot

without chain lube it'll only last about 5k (I know, I tried)
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
tirebiter

Post by tirebiter »

I'm glad you find my post funny, wish I could say the same about yours.
I usually ride a 35 to 50 mile loop, it's hard at 60 to go longer without paying for it on Monday.

I'm getting the sense that there's alot of sarcastic, mean-spirited folks on this site- or they drink early and alot.. :partyman:

BTW, I started riding & wrenching in '67, raced motocross from '73 til '91.
I like my KDX, but have no use insulting posts.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

the whole "my chain last X years" seems moot to me, it all depends on riding conditions (mud, dirt, sand, water...), riding style (beginner, aggressive...), how tight you run your chain, the type of chain used, if you're riding on flat ground, long nasty hill, ruts...
So far anything I've tried doesn't last much longer than a year (riding 30 miles every week end) I opted for a oring and decided to not worry about lubing it after each and every ride cuz it's convenient :wink:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

oh and yes there's a lot of sarcasm going around, mean spirit, don't think so; not in my case anyway (trolls usually don't last very long on this site, they get weeded out pretty quickly by most of the member and either tune it down or just leave. :lol:)
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
tirebiter wrote:I'm glad you find my post funny, wish I could say the same about yours.
I usually ride a 35 to 50 mile loop, it's hard at 60 to go longer without paying for it on Monday.

I'm getting the sense that there's alot of sarcastic, mean-spirited folks on this site- or they drink early and alot.. :partyman:

BTW, I started riding & wrenching in '67, raced motocross from '73 til '91.
I like my KDX, but have no use insulting posts.

Please don't take anything too personally around here, all the sarcasm is meant in good fun and not to be taken as an insult. I generally don't bother with throwing insults or name calling on the interwebs, it's just a waste of time. Around here, you have to kind of think of it as sitting around with some of your pals and ribbing back and forth, nothing meant by it. I guess I need a disclaimer in my sig like Wibby, lol.

I just can't imagine any chain lasting more than about a year if you ride frequently, unless it's a DS or street bike. I've never heard anyone else claim that about an off-road only bike, and never expect to. Even a hardened steel rear sprocket lasts me only 1 - 2 years before the teeth are nearly gone, and I don't quite get to ride every weekend. However, when I do ride, I push the bike and myself really hard. I reckon if you ride very gently, always at low speed, and meticulously maintain that chain, you might stretch it quite a bit longer, but 5 years just seems incredible. If you really manage to get that much out of one, then good for ya.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

13,000 km on the original chain and sprockets on my 07 KLX 250. I estimate at least 2/3 of that is fast woods/single track, and 3 years on the O ring chain and sprockets on my RM 125, which I race in the vet class about 6 times a year. Neither appear to be stretched, or worn. I expect to get at least 5 years out of both. :partyman:

This is what I use right after I wash the bikes.

Ontario, Canada
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I have not used any lube on my chain at all or cleaned it in four months and it has not worn at all! :grin:

It is an o ring chain. :wink:

I have spent the summer with a bad shoulder and can not ride. :cry:
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

since were on the subject of chains, how tight do you keep them ?
(KDXbutterfly, im talking about the one on the bike, not on your hubby)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
tirebiter

Post by tirebiter »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:>|<>QBB<
tirebiter wrote:
Please don't take anything too personally around here, all the sarcasm is meant in good fun and not to be taken as an insult. I generally don't bother with throwing insults or name calling on the interwebs, it's just a waste of time. Around here, you have to kind of think of it as sitting around with some of your pals and ribbing back and forth, nothing meant by it. I guess I need a disclaimer in my sig like Wibby, lol.

I just can't imagine any chain lasting more than about a year if you ride frequently, unless it's a DS or street bike. I've never heard anyone else claim that about an off-road only bike, and never expect to. Even a hardened steel rear sprocket lasts me only 1 - 2 years before the teeth are nearly gone, and I don't quite get to ride every weekend. However, when I do ride, I push the bike and myself really hard. I reckon if you ride very gently, always at low speed, and meticulously maintain that chain, you might stretch it quite a bit longer, but 5 years just seems incredible. If you really manage to get that much out of one, then good for ya.
Thanks, got it. :cool:
Yeah, nowdays I just take it easy most of the time. Spend alot of time riding with the wife and a small group of friends.
Here's a vid my riding buddy shot (I don't own a camera) while riding his 650 BMW, pretty good example of what the trails are like around here..

Cheers, Dan
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Nice!