Barclamp Alternative to FRP

Got questions? We got answers....
thedeatons

Barclamp Alternative to FRP

Post by thedeatons »

Hey guys!

I am looking around for a few options, because I like options... I know FRP makes a one-piece top bar clamp for $30. I also know that Zeta Racing makes one-piece top bar clamps for lots of bikes, just not the KDX. I see on Zeta's website that many bar clamps are the same from one machine to the other...

Kawasaki is now installing one-piece top bar clamps on their new bikes, as factory equipment.

Has anyone found a one-piece top bar clamp from another model that will fit our bar clamp spacing?

Just wondering because then we could have some other bar clamps as options. I know FRP is a great product, but I am looking for other options... :)

http://www.zeta-racing.com/clamps/comp_ ... index.html

http://www.zeta-racing.com/clamps/comp_ ... ation.html

James
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Why do you want a one piece clamp?
'00 KDX 220R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You need to also check the length of the studs as well. I tried to use a set of KDX clamps in a KX triple and the studs were too long so I had to stick with the KX clamps. The spacing was right on tho.
tirebiter

Post by tirebiter »

BRP makes one..
http://www.brpmoto.com/products?page=sh ... ry_id=1602

I use Enduro Engineering clamps- 1 1/8" bar, 5/8" up, 5/8" forward- I'm 6'2", much roomier..
https://www.enduroeng.com/ProductDetail ... 1254937313

Crappy pic-
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

One-Piece clamp = Bars no longer tweak when they hit the ground... Two piece clamp with rubber mounts = bars twist even when they hit the sand on a tip over.

rbates9 - I wasn't looking to change the whole clamp, just the top piece. The lower KDX clamps (under the bar) can stay. For instance, I glanced at a KLX140 the other day, and it had a stock Kawasaki one-piece top clamp. Wouldn't it be cool if the spacing was similar!

tirebiter - The BRP is the entire clamp (top & bottom), which is more than I wanted really, for $109. The Enduro clamp isn't a one-piece top clamp, just different bar mounts, and $69. The FRP piece is $30, and just the one-piece top clamp.... Know what I mean? Just looking for a Kawasaki version of that, hopefully on Ebay or in a forum for super cheap....

James
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

One-Piece clamp = Bars get bent every time they hit the ground. Two piece clamp with rubber mounts = Bars don't get bent every time they hit the ground

Fixed it for ya. :mrgreen:
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

Lol... Thanks
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

In all seriousness, I'd much rather loosen the bar mounts and straighten stuff up than have to replace the bars on a regular basis. I don't go down much anymore, but when I do, I go down HARD. I frequently have to straighten the bar clamps, but I find this much better than replacing my bars every time I crash.

If you're set on it though, these guys have some super nice stuff

http://www.emigracing.com/
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

it'll depend also on the type of bar you have, aftermarket are usually a lot stronger. And also if you're running barkbuster like the cycra top clamp solid mount, I haven't bend any bar so far.
I personally like the rubber mount too but with a one piece top clamp. with the stock mount every spill I'd take I'd have to tweak the bars back. PITA! :evil:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

True on the bar selection. A good fat bar with good busters on it is hard to bend.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
thedeatons wrote:rbates9 - I wasn't looking to change the whole clamp, just the top piece. The lower KDX clamps (under the bar) can stay. For instance, I glanced at a KLX140 the other day, and it had a stock Kawasaki one-piece top clamp. Wouldn't it be cool if the spacing was similar!

James
Than look here http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com ... A=200&B=24 Part #46012 That may be what you are looking for. When I did my fork swap I left the bar mounts tight on the bars and tried putting them in to the KX triple and it lined right up but the studs were too long.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I see. When I swapped to the KLX forks that got rid of the crappy stock rubber mounts and gave me solid ones.
'00 KDX 220R
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:>|<>QBB<
thedeatons wrote:rbates9 - I wasn't looking to change the whole clamp, just the top piece. The lower KDX clamps (under the bar) can stay. For instance, I glanced at a KLX140 the other day, and it had a stock Kawasaki one-piece top clamp. Wouldn't it be cool if the spacing was similar!

James
Than look here http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com ... A=200&B=24 Part #46012 That may be what you are looking for. When I did my fork swap I left the bar mounts tight on the bars and tried putting them in to the KX triple and it lined right up but the studs were too long.
here's another one for the "parts from other bikes that fit KDXs" sticky
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

It will fit! I checked one out at a salvage yard and the whole spacing is he same as the KDX!

I thought about getting it, it was $20... Definitely a cheaper alternative!

Good find!!!

James
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

By the way, i moved my odometer to the front of the triple clamp using a DR350 odometer mount. It gave me more room for a barpad, and fit perfectly. The odometers are the same also... Since we are talking about part interchangeability...

James
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
thedeatons wrote:By the way, i moved my odometer to the front of the triple clamp using a DR350 odometer mount. It gave me more room for a barpad, and fit perfectly. The odometers are the same also... Since we are talking about part interchangeability...

James
Pic?
tirebiter

Post by tirebiter »

>|<>QBB<
thedeatons wrote:By the way, i moved my odometer to the front of the triple clamp using a DR350 odometer mount. It gave me more room for a barpad, and fit perfectly. The odometers are the same also... Since we are talking about part interchangeability...

James
If you look at my pic, you'll see that the odo is now mounted in the center, and about an inch forward. I did it by flipping the OEM mount upside down, drilling a new center hole and grinding the back side ridges a bit..
Saved at least 15 bucks... :grin:
If I can't do it, I'm sure someone else can!
thedeatons

Post by thedeatons »

That's true! I think i spent $10 on ebay for the whole dr odometer... I will get a pic up eventually...
Orion220

Re: Barclamp Alternative to FRP

Post by Orion220 »

If anyone is still looking, here's a good deal on a one piece bar mount. Its a pretty good deal so I just wanted to share it with my fellow KDX rider.

$10 for the bar mount and you can call and ask for $6 usps flat rate shipping. They said they have them in 7/8" and 1 1/8".

http://www.devolracing.com/One-Piece-Ba ... p_289.html