Do any of you guys recommend/approve of this oil?

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXrider1989

Do any of you guys recommend/approve of this oil?

Post by KDXrider1989 »

says its suitable for air-cooled engines, don't know if it would be good for my KDX. I know this sounds like a dumb question but after reading a previous forum on here I learned that not all 2-stroke oil is good for our intended usage. Picked up some Pennzoil Marine 2t outboard oil yesterday only to find that TCW3 oil shouldn't be recommended for our bikes. But i saw this Lucas oil on the shelves and was pretty iffy about it since I never tried it and don't know anybody who has. Another thing: it's semi-synthetic. What do y'all think?

Here's a link:
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/displa ... 0&loc=show

I really wish Mobil1 didn't stop making the racing 2t oil. Driving 30 miles out of my way to pick up some motorex or motul 800 is my next choice
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

I've got a bottle of that on my shelf for when I run out of what I'm using now. (Honda G2 I think it's called.)
Wish I could help you decide on it or not, but it'll probably be November before I start using it.
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
gregp

Post by gregp »

Lucas puts out some quality stuff that is widely accepted in many race atmospheres. I would have no problem running that oil in the mildly tuned KDX motor.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
gregp

Post by gregp »

...and the ad is worded funny because all Mercury, Evinrude, and Johnson outboards *are* liquid cooled!
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

or has anyone tried the Royal Purple 2-stroke oil? I can get a gallon of it from O'reilly's for about $50
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

I've been looking for a chance to tell this story, maybe this is a good time.
When I bought my RM 125 in 07, I was trying a few different oils. Lucas semi syn was one of them. I then tried Belray H1R. I immediately noticed a power increase. A significant power increase. I didn't believe it was possible, so I did some back to back testing. It was a very obvious, and very significant difference.

A few weeks ago, I ran out of the Castrol GP 2 stroke I've been using in my vintage bike, and my dealer had a deal on Belray MC 1. I tried it, mixed at the same 40-1 and noticed a significant power increase. Exactly the same as the above, I was able to duplicate it.

I have no idea why it happened. If somebody had told me about it, I would have a very hard time believing it, but it happened, it was significant, and I was able to duplicate it. FWIW, I am a professional mechanic with a lot of experience in testing and tuning race motors (automotive). I'm not advocating any oil in particular, but I think it's a good idea to try different ones and see what the results are.
Ontario, Canada
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I've been using that Lucas oil a while and no problems. Relatively cheap and easy to find.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

what a bummer, I had some Belray 2t oil and I think my father threw it away because he thought it was junk :roll:
gregp

Post by gregp »

Good post, ZW. I had the same experience with Klotz Be-Nol. Good stuff. I even added a little bit to my daughter's Ninja 250, and the bike really perked up. Never mind that it smells *awesome*. I suspect that every engine reacts differently to different oils.
So, my advice to anybody is to stick with brand name stuff if you can, and run whatever makes you feel good!
Also, "a little bit too much" oil is much better than "not quite enough".
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I ran Lucas for awhile

Kips were not bad though :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS