bills pipe and other performance questions

Got questions? We got answers....
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Waiting.

Just tell her you need to make sure it fits right while you can still return it! :wink:
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

well, i finaly got the pipe installed
i must have installed at least a dozen different aftermarket pipes on just as many bikes but i have never had one that fit this bad
only one of the mounting tabs lined up and i ended up cutting 1/4 inch of the silencer pipe just so those two holes lined up again

but she is on
i can denfinatly feel the difference, she goes like a scalded ape now
not sure if i like it though, the smooth docile powerband that my KDX had seems to have been replaced by the type of powerband one would expect on a two stroke dirtbike or a turbocharged car

hopefully once i tune in the carb it will get a little smoother (mainly looking for more powerfull bottom end now)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

>|<>QBB<
diymirage wrote:seems to have been replaced by the type of powerband one would expect on a two stroke dirtbike
:hmm:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:>|<>QBB<
diymirage wrote:seems to have been replaced by the type of powerband one would expect on a two stroke dirtbike
:hmm:
:lol:

He probably meant 2strokes MXer...
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

what i meant was that it feels sluggish until it its a certain RPM and then its all GO after thatnone of that smooth buildup i was used to
i guess on a graph instead of being a mountain that slowly slopes up it feels like a street that ends in a house
make sence?

like i said before though, im hoping the jetting will fix it
anticipation more air coming in and therefore more fuel being needed i went from 150 42 to 155 45 and it doesnt run nice at all
for instance, i was taking it for a spin today and i had to keep it at half throttle for a minute while the car in front of me got going
then when i cranked it open it sputtered and what not

i know the pilot is too large because my idle screw is at 3.5 but do you guys think i should go down a size on the main aswell ?
it seems to really pick up high so i would imagine it needs a lot more fuel there then it did stock
(without ever having seen one i would imagine this is what a desert pipe would be like)

any suggestions, thoughts?

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I would suggest going through the jetting process from start to finish. Start with the pilot, then set the needle, and then do plug chops for the main. This trial and error method of going up or down one or two on the main and seeing how it does, fiddling with the airscrew, deciding to swap a pilot, all with nothing but the butt dyno for testing.. Can't result in anything beneficial.

that said, sluggish off throttle, and then opening up hard on top, suggests going from an overly rich circuit to one that is jetted more correct, or even a bit lean.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

i second that. Do it right, do it once. Guessing is not gonna get you anywhere but frustration and disappointment zone :wink:
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

thanks for the input guys
i am planning on doing it right (following the steps as listed in the jets and needle section)
but i thought i would ask for some advise...seeing if i was in the right ballpark

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Even when your jets are right you may need a different needle to help smooth it out. Discussed plenty on here. The stock pipe is very mellow 'hitting'
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

started jetting last night
i went from 45 back to 42 and that alone feels a whole lot better, not sure how to explain it but now the bottom end seems to closer match the top end and it transistions so much smoother

i went out today and dropped the needle down one groove, it now sits in the middle spot
it leveled it out a bit but im still not there
when i take of slow and go through first at partial throttle i'll shift into second and gun it...it stutters some

i cant really fiddle with it much more untill it stops raining though