My Poor KDX

Got questions? We got answers....
nearma12

My Poor KDX

Post by nearma12 »

I sold my KDX250 over the summer to a buddy. It is the first "dirt" motorcycle he has ever owned, as far as I know.

A little background information:

I bought the KDX about 3 years ago from a guy who seemed to think that maintenance was a deadly sin. LOL

I spent countless hours and way too many dollars getting the bike into good running condition. I put tons of new parts on it. (Top-end, chain, sprockets, oil seals, gaskets, brake pads, brake cylinder, levers, swingarm bearings, shock bearings, wheel bearings, reeds, jetting, carb slide, carb needle, air filter, FMF Pipe, Answer silencer, Fork seals/oil, tires, tubes, grips, shift lever) Probably more that I am forgetting.

I explained to the guy how to mix the gas/oil at 32:1. I made sure to tell him over and over so he wouldn't screw it up.

Anyway, recently he said that the bike it really hard to start. Come to find out, it seems that he doesn't know the difference between 4 cycle oil and 2 cycle pre-mix.

Yep, he mixed 4 oz of 10w 30 in each gallon of gas he poured into the tank. :roll:

It has been explained to him since, that he might be a moron. :mrgreen:

I loved that bike. Hated to see it go. If a guy thinks that you are supposed to add 4 cycle oil to gas in a 2 stroke, it's hard telling what else he will probably do in the future. I'm just waiting for the call : "Uh....the bike died when I was riding it. I checked the oil sight glass and it was full, so I didn't add any more oil to the gas."

I hate when I get rid of a vehicle and see it go to complete s#it because of ignorance and laziness. :sad:
1991 KDX250
2000 KX250
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

I had a friend who rebuilt an opal gt ground up and when he sold it the guy wrapped it around a tree... :blink:
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Not that the 10w30 is the best thing in the world to mix in the gas it's
also not the worst.
I'm sure the bike would live a few rounds of that without being
adversely affected....
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

Years back a friend of mine showed up late one night at my house needing gas for his 250R three wheeler. I had gas but no premix, so he dumped in a bottle of 10w Bel Ray fork oil. It siezed on his way home. :mrgreen:
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

Reminds me of why I don't buy used. Nobody does maintenance like me therefore no one can be trusted. :twisted:
Kroynon
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Kroynon »

When my chainsaw ran out of gas out in the woods one time I siphoned some from the truck and mixed in some transmission fluid. Ran like a champ lol. Wouldn't try it in my bike though.