Sea Foam & 2-Strokes

Got questions? We got answers....
Toby from MO

Sea Foam & 2-Strokes

Post by Toby from MO »

Any issues with running Sea Foam in my KDX?

I typically make a habit of adding Sea Foam to all my gas cans at fill up...whether it be for boat, motorcycle, dune buggy, lawn mower etc...

This KDX is the first 2-stroke toy I've had in a long time. Just wondering if there were any issues adding the recommended dosage into the two stroke.

Thanks.
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

I have been adding Stabil to all my gas.

550 miles on the KDX. No issues yet.
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Never tried stabil or sea foam, but I do put 5% paint thinner (Toluene or Xylene) in every mix
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
gregp

Post by gregp »

I have had no issues adding Sea Foam or Techron to my KDX fuel. It seems fine.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

Everything I've put stabilizer in (for winter storage) has run like **** until I get it out of there.

I'm not sure why you'd want to add anything to gasoline (aside from the octane, if you think you need it)
Ontario, Canada
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Never tried stabil or sea foam, but I do put 5% paint thinner (Toluene or Xylene) in every mix
Really? Never heard that one before. Can you elaborate on the benefits of adding paint thinner?
nearma12

Post by nearma12 »

It should be OK if you don't add too much. I ran some Sea Foam in my KDX250 when I first bought and it gave me some problems.

I only had about 1/2 a gallon of gas in the tank at the time, but I added about 2 oz. of Sea Foam. It made the bike scream like it was really lean. Didn't have any problem right before I added it or after I drained that gas and used fresh stuff. So, I am guessing that adding too much to my gas, is what caused the problem.

I didn't mean to add so much, but I didn't think it would hurt anything. Keep an eye on how much you add just to be safe.
1991 KDX250
2000 KX250
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
SCREAM wrote:>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:Never tried stabil or sea foam, but I do put 5% paint thinner (Toluene or Xylene) in every mix
Really? Never heard that one before. Can you elaborate on the benefits of adding paint thinner?
Gives the bike some more grunt
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

>|<>QBB<
Backyard octane booster. Should not affect performance unless you need octane.
Ontario, Canada
novack2007

Post by novack2007 »

there is nothing wrong running seafoam in a 2smoke. just some fruit for thought tho.with the ethonol fuel that we are so greatly have too put up with now stabil isnt going to do crap for your fuel for storage. the only stabil you can use is the marine stabil because it has an ethonol treatment and a stabilizer in it. also seafoam is not a stabilizer either its just a lubricant and a de-carbon cleaner. should check out fuel medic or a product similar to that.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Would SeaFoam clean KIPS parts as you road? :hmm:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
zomby woof wrote:>|<>QBB<
'cept it does

Very noticeably I might add

It'll pull the SSS much better running Toluene than without

Without Toluene the bike feels like a slug
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
novack2007

Post by novack2007 »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:Would SeaFoam clean KIPS parts as you road? :hmm:
it very well might. i know on smaller 2strokes like chain saws and string trimmers it smells like you are taking a blow torch and cleaning the carbon off the screens and the muffler casue its cleaning the carbon off. so i wouldnt see y it wouldnt work.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:>|<>QBB<
zomby woof wrote:>|<>QBB<

'cept it does

Very noticeably I might add

It'll pull the SSS much better running Toluene than without

Without Toluene the bike feels like a slug
I think if my bike ran better with paint thinner in the tank, I'd like to know what's wrong :razz:
Ontario, Canada
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Higher octane fuel will help throttle response and 'grunt' in a heavily loaded low rpm situation....However, you're right on a WOT dyno run higher octane than needed will decrease performance.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I've tried running without it, but the front end felt like it gained 25 lbs

btw, Xylene is some wild ass ****, I had power everywhere when I tried it, I just was not sure how safe it was so I only ran one tank
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

Toluene is a normal part of gasoline anyway. Years ago the toluene content per gallon was higher than it is now. It has high energy content and is high octane but it is not as volatile as some of the other components in gasoline.

The ethanol being added to gasoline is high octane but low energy and I think it's cleaner running as far as putting out less emissions.

I have been adding about 5% toluene and a shot of Sta-Bil to my can of gas for quite a while now. It makes the gasoline smell like it did when I was a kid in the 70's, and I'm thinking that the higher energy content of toluene will offset the lower energy content of the ethanol making it more like the gasoline of the 70's.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Toby from MO

Post by Toby from MO »

Thanks for the replies guys. I run the Sea Foam for its cleaning characteristics. I don't know if it's necessary to run it in everything but I do. I got in the habit of it with my sand rail (VW)...had a carbon build up and the motor would diesel everytime I shut it down. I was told to start running Sea Foam and the dieseling stopped. I use Marine Stabil for storage...in everything except my boats...talk about irony. Gasoline sold in Marinas is ethonal free...at least in Missouri.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You should buy your dirtbike gas at the marina then ;)

!@#$% ethanol.
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

>|<>QBB<
novack2007 wrote:also seafoam is not a stabilizer either its just a lubricant and a de-carbon cleaner.
The seafoam website claims it stabilizes fuel for up to 2 years.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment.html
I use it in all of my bikes. 1 ounce per gallon for 4 strokes & 2 oz/gal for premix.
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R