For those splitting their own cases

Got questions? We got answers....
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

For those splitting their own cases

Post by fuzzy »

Have seen plenty of people on here doing their own bottom ends, and there have been some problems here and there. I always outsourced this, but it's not so bad on a bike engine. However, just pressing the crank together can be very hit or miss, and the reason I never bothered. Check out this vid of a 'miss.' Whenever i buy the tools, and do a lower end I will surely take the assembled crank to a shop (likely a kart shop, and not a bike shop) for truing.

'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yes, I do the dissasmbling and reassembling, but I let a shop deal with rebuilding the crank for sure. Well worth the $60 bill for shop time.
nearma12

Post by nearma12 »

I can't believe that motor ran without vibrating terribly. Also, he is lucky that the crank didn't rub the case at all.

I would let a shop press mine if it needed it. No way I'd want a P.O.S. like that in my motor.
1991 KDX250
2000 KX250
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

LOL don't even need the dial indicator :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

^^^ I know! :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

:shock:
gregp

Post by gregp »

Wow. I know that some folks here swear by Wiseco products, particularly for the 220 piston kit. Ever since the early 80's, I have kind of sworn off of Wiseco products because I ran into an issue with a DT175 Wiseco piston. The skirt ports were nowhere near the size of the ports on the OEM piston. The Wiseco had 1/2" diameter holes drilled in the skirt. The OEM piston had large rectangular windows. I also did not like the fact that the Wiseco pistons have to be fully warmed up for them to stop rattling in the bores. Their rings are also much thinner than the OEM parts. They are also not available in A, B, C, D sizes like their OEM counterparts. They are a "one size fits all" piston.
It used to be that a person could save $10-20 by buying a Wiseco piston kit, now it seems to be the other way around.
I am still surprised to see this kind of poor crank quality from Wiseco. They are a reputable company that many people have faith in.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
nearma12

Post by nearma12 »

>|<>QBB<
gregp wrote:Wow. I know that some folks here swear by Wiseco products, particularly for the 220 piston kit. Ever since the early 80's, I have kind of sworn off of Wiseco products because I ran into an issue with a DT175 Wiseco piston. The skirt ports were nowhere near the size of the ports on the OEM piston. The Wiseco had 1/2" diameter holes drilled in the skirt. The OEM piston had large rectangular windows. I also did not like the fact that the Wiseco pistons have to be fully warmed up for them to stop rattling in the bores. Their rings are also much thinner than the OEM parts. They are also not available in A, B, C, D sizes like their OEM counterparts. They are a "one size fits all" piston.
It used to be that a person could save $10-20 by buying a Wiseco piston kit, now it seems to be the other way around.
I am still surprised to see this kind of poor crank quality from Wiseco. They are a reputable company that many people have faith in.
If I'm not mistaken, the Wiseco Cranks that had problems were almost all CR250 replacements. (Can't remember the years it fits)

I have heard a lot of people say that they would never use a Wiseco crank in their motor, just because they have heard the story of the CR problems.

I've also heard just as many horror stories about Hot Rods cranks.

I put a Wiseco crank in my KX250. It works great. I wouldn't hesitate to put another one any of my bikes. Ehh....except maybe not if it were a CR250 lol :mrgreen:
1991 KDX250
2000 KX250
gregp

Post by gregp »

Good to know. Thanks for the information, nearma12!
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)