New Sedona MX877IT tires

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXrider1989

New Sedona MX877IT tires

Post by KDXrider1989 »

My tires were starting to wear out and have been on the bike for about 10 years, from what I was told by the previous owner last year. Picked up a pair for cheap from Cycle Gear, says that these tires are meant for hard to intermediate terrain. I put the front tire on by myself, but bent the rim about 2 mm in the process and poked a small hole in the tube and had to patch it up (it was the 1st dirt bike tire I've ever changed, and will probably be the last) and I couldn't even break the bead on the back tire so I just took it back to Cycle Gear to have them put it on. I got to ride it on the street today for a little bit and the bike feels a lot less stable and more dangerous on concrete, and the front end wants to wash out every time I take a corner and lean a little bit and also on straightaways when I move the handlebars to the left and right. I don't know if it's because they are new tires and are made of a softer compound or if it's because the front rim is a little tweaked. Any advice you guys?
dan46n2
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dan46n2 »

Hard to Intermediate terrain ≠ street
gregp

Post by gregp »

New tires will always change the way your bike feels. Pretty much any new knobby is going to be a bit sketchy on the pavement. IMO, the main reason you had such a hard time changing tires is that your 10 year old tires were probably rock hard. I have also had a hard time with some lower priced brands (Chen Shin), as their bead seems to be a bit small. Premium tires mount up pretty easily for the most part. I have no experience with Sedona tires. All I can say is that my brother ran one once, and only once.
I have had good luck with Kenda tires if you want to look for budget brands. Their K-760 Trackmaster II is a decent rear tire that lasts a long time. The front is not so good. You will find countless opinions on tires. Everybody has their favorites.
For the KDX, I like to stay with the stock 100/100 rear tire size.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

>|<>QBB<
dan46n2 wrote:Hard to Intermediate terrain ≠ street
the 10-year old Dunlops that used to be on my bike were rated for softer terrain yet handled great on pavement, much better than the ones I currently have on
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

>|<>QBB<
gregp wrote:New tires will always change the way your bike feels. Pretty much any new knobby is going to be a bit sketchy on the pavement. IMO, the main reason you had such a hard time changing tires is that your 10 year old tires were probably rock hard. I have also had a hard time with some lower priced brands (Chen Shin), as their bead seems to be a bit small. Premium tires mount up pretty easily for the most part. I have no experience with Sedona tires. All I can say is that my brother ran one once, and only once.
I have had good luck with Kenda tires if you want to look for budget brands. Their K-760 Trackmaster II is a decent rear tire that lasts a long time. The front is not so good. You will find countless opinions on tires. Everybody has their favorites.
For the KDX, I like to stay with the stock 100/100 rear tire size.
Yeah, the front end is definitely sketchy on pavement and wants to wash out every time I get up to speed and turn or lean into a corner. I don't know if the front wheel being bent has anything to do with it also, but its only about 2mm of wobble from side to side when rolling, but it isn't lopsided
MontanaKDX
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MontanaKDX »

I have been running the Sedona tires front and back for about 2 years now. They work great for the hard pack and rocky conditions that I ride. Also, the back seems to hook up well in the mud and sand. And, they wear remarkably well. I noticed a difference in handling up front going from a soft terrain tire but never had a washing out issue. I bet once you get a few rides on them you will like them just fine.
'97 KDX 220

RIDE ON!
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

I can't comment on a front Sedona, but ran one on the rear of 200 for a while. It wore well and got good straight line traction, but was super heavy and seemed out of round. It was horible on the street, but great for the price in the dirt.

Funny that when I took it to Cycle Gear to replace it with a Dunlop (before they had Sedonas), the sales guy asked where I bought it and said they'd never sell a low quality tire like that. :mrgreen:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You might want to play with the air pressure and see if that makes any difference. I have noticed a few psi one way or the other can make a big difference.
bmann

Post by bmann »

i found this video to be fantastic. Best advise he gives - if it feels difficult, your using the wrong technique. Any time I am changing a tire, if it starts getting hard I stop and rethink what I am doing (I guess this applies to any bike maintenance). It's funny how neglected tires are in relation to how important they are. Always get the best rubber you can afford, if you can't get traction every mod and hop up you bought is useless.