91 kdx 200 suspension

Got questions? We got answers....
novack2007

91 kdx 200 suspension

Post by novack2007 »

hey guys i just got a 91 kdx 200 for cheap and i cleaned the carb repacked the silencer and put a new rear tire on. i just need too kno how to adjust the front forks. i wanna make them alittle stiffer. i weigh 230 and the suspension is alittle soft. i can get the rear shock where i want it just wanted to kno how to make the front stiffer.. oh and by the way how too change the fork oil and if you can change the oil in the rear shock?
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Sounds like you need a manual for the oil change in the fork. I just did this and it was pretty easy. There is a little screw at the bottom outside of the fork legs that you drain the fluid from. I ran some varsol through mine to clean it all out. you then fill the fork up from the top caps. I used a 7wt and filled to about 130mm from the top of the upper tube with the springs out forks compressed all the way.
I performed this job with the fork legs removed from the tripples. It was easier this way to get everything clean.

You should check the top end out on this bike. I have an 89 and didn't know how to check it out and ended up breaking a piston and thrashing the engine. You also should check the powervalves on the engine to see if they are working. search around to find out how.

You definitely need stiffer front springs, probably .40 or so for your weight. I wouldn't be surprised if you need a stiffer shock spring to balance everything out in the end

I have found this site to be a real help to get to know my bike. Everyone here is super helpful and there seems to be quite a few e-series owners here.

You can buy a manual at the top of the main page
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Welcome :mrgreen:

You need springs for your weight, racetech has a spring calculator. You can get springs from them, or from FRPOffroad.

The oil change is pretty straight forward. Lots of info on the net. Basically, pull them off, take the cap off the top, dump the oil, and re-fill. Since you're wanting to stiffen them up, might go something like 90mm. That's the measurement from the top of the tube down to the oil level, with fork collapsed and spring removed.

Many people just swap them for some MX forks. KX125/250/500 makes a pretty easy swap.
gregp

Post by gregp »

Changing the oil in the rear shock, is a whole different ball game. You should really know what you are doing, and have a zero-loss nitrogen charge set up. You will need about 225 PSI of nitrogen.
I have seen people over fill their shocks and explode the aluminum body over the first jump. Folks forget that the shock shaft takes up a lot of volume as it enters the cylinder during the stroke...
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

with the manual, changing the shock oil is pretty easy
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
novack2007

Post by novack2007 »

2 swap the front fors too mx forks do you need new tripples and how hard is it 2 do or swapping springs going 2 be easier?