Bar Snake?

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Bar Snake?

Post by Indawoods »

Anybody ever try to fill the bars with silicone?
Would this have the same effect as a bar snake?
Or does it have to be loose in the bars to function correctly?

If so, then what about spraying WD or some silcone spray in the bars first and then add the silicone....

Just curious....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

When I saw the title I automatically pictured a python sitting at a bar sssssipping on a whisssskey, don't ask why as its probably just another crAYZee aussie thing. :rolleyes:

I've heard of filling them with lead, never silicon. I'm off to google Bar snakes...

EDIT*** This sounds like the same concept, except silicon bounces pretty high if you mke a ball out of it so it may not work aswell as this products ingredient.

Bar Snake Model LV-4. Liquid Bar Snake for handle bars with kinks, bends, or wires and cables running through them. The Liquid Bar Snake can be poured into tubular handlebars and sets in four hours. The Liquid Bar Snake can be used in all tubular handlebars, but is especially intended for pro-taper handlebars, multi-curved handlebars, such as buckhorns or ape-hangers, or handlebars which have cables running through them. In short, wherever a standard solid Bar Snake cannot be easily used. Model LV-4 contains enough fluid to fill a 7/8-inch handlebar up to 40 inches long. $47.95.

Info from http://www.barsnake.com
Last edited by KDXer on 09:52 am Jul 25 2005, edited 1 time in total.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I filled mine with silicone seal. The ends will set up but the middle stays liquid. Not a bad thing I guess. I also thought about trying that expanding foam stuff used to seal around windows and electrical outlets.
I don't know that I noticed a difference since I've never really been bothered by bar vibrations anyway. With the expanding foam, it will easily disolve in gas, so if you don't like it, you could always flush it out.
A tube of RTV would be denser and the latex type is only a few bucks a tube at the hardware store.

My question back to you: does the density of the material make the difference in cutting vibration? I have a bunch of wheel weights I use for casting bullets. I could fill mine with lead. That would be dense!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The Bar Snake isn't that exspensive... It is made out of a polymer of some sort.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Good info.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I would'nt try to fill the bars with expansion foam. I think it would eventually deteriorate quicker than silicone. I don't think it would have the vibration absorbsion that silicone would have either. It does'nt set up solid. It does help with noise reduction though. I used it on a take down deer decoy that I had to keep it from banging through the woods. It sounded like a drum brigade before the expansion foam. I'd stick with silicone.

Jon.