HELP... my kdx is trying to kill me!

Got questions? We got answers....
220ripper
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

HELP... my kdx is trying to kill me!

Post by 220ripper »

where to start.......

so had the kdx out for a rip today, 2nd ride since getting the fork conversion done, last ride everything was running extremely well, brought it home gave er' a rinse off, put her to bed and lubed up the chain for the ride today.

the ride started off as all rides do but I soon realized something wasnt right with the bike. As I would come on the throttle in 1st gear the engine would rev out uncontrollably.... once I got out of first gear and built up some speed it seemed like the problem would go away. as we continued on the ride when the trail would get steeper and I would gear down get into first and throttle on the bike would surge and nearly threw me off the trail a few times before I could quickly kill the engine

at first I thought it was a stuck throttle cable but when i got on the main road i started testing out the throttle and when it did act up it wouldn't stick on it would rev out and the only way to get it to stop was to kill the engine. I think if i would just let it run the engine would probably rev out and blow up.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting and fixing this? I figured I'd check the forum to see if someone had a similar issue and were familiar with this this issue.

thanks guys!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Dirt in the carb causing the slide to stick? Major air leak? Broken slide return spring?
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
220ripper
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 220ripper »

I though about an air leak, over the winter I rebuilt the bottom end with new crank and main seals, and redid the top end... where were you thinking for the air leak?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
220ripper wrote:I though about an air leak, over the winter I rebuilt the bottom end with new crank and main seals, and redid the top end... where were you thinking for the air leak?
Intake manifold, top of carb, gaskets between intake manifold and reed cage, and cage to cylinder.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
gregp

Post by gregp »

I would start by removing, disassembling, and cleaning the carburetor. If you do not find anything wrong there (be sure to inspect the cable closely around the steering stops), you can unbolt the reed cage and check the gaskets.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
220ripper
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 220ripper »

Thanks guys all great leads.... I begun by taking off the carb and reed cage .... I also cleaned the air filter and gave er new oil.... The reeds and gaskets all appeared to be in good condition as did the carb and carb connections. It wasn't until I did all that and started putting the carb back into the bike that I noticed I didn't have any play in the throttle cable and that they were looped around the outside of the forks. I just finished my kx 500 conversion and I think sometime after finishing the swap and my first ride the cable must have hooked on the outside .... First ride it didn't act up as it was a pretty wide open ride and the throttle cable only went wonky when the bike was being turned hard.