Silicone Rad Hose Kit Review?

Got questions? We got answers....
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Silicone Rad Hose Kit Review?

Post by Slick_Nick »

Picked one of these up off ebay I'll let you know how it works out. Looks okay to me, just wondering if anyone else has tried them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmd ... MEWAXQ3aIT
'00 KDX 220R
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

The price has gone up quite a bit.
ASI was selling hose kits about 2 years ago for about 45 bucks.
I have the on my KX450F for about a year and a half with no problems.
I took brake clean and rubbed off the ASI lettering.
Last edited by TWMOODY on 07:42 pm Aug 23 2011, edited 1 time in total.
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

I was wondering about these too. Show some pics of them installed.
dgraver

Post by dgraver »

post up some pics!
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

i have a set from asi for my 220 but as yet i`ve not fitted them, the quality is very good & the price is excellent... :grin:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

You bought those?

I figured you'd just reuse an old garden hose
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

I looked around the Interweb for some reviews and it looks like most people are happy with them. The only negative remarks I saw were from people that hadn't ever bought or used a set. If it weren't for ignorant haters the internet would fit on a flash drive. :roll:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Hrm. Anyone disliking the idea of buying expensive silicone radiator hoses for nothing more than colorful bling factor is an ignorant hater? Funny....
Of course the people that bought them are happy with them. They have to justify that $80 they spent on pretty hoses somehow.

Is there some benefit here that I am missing?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

My old hoses are on the way out, so it's time to replace them. I figured why not do it with silicone that lasts MUCH longer and looks better.
'00 KDX 220R
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

You misunderstood me. I was merely stating that the only negative opinions were by those that could not have had any experience with the product. And by your rationale, the only reason you like your house, your TV, or your KDX is because you have to justify the money you spent on it? I can infer too. :wink:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

lol, yep, pretty much. Actually, i kinda hate the house.... At any rate, those things you mention perform a function, other than just looking pretty.
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

Radiator hoses perform a function. Whether you want green, blue, purple, or the oem black you're choosing a color. If they need to be replaced whats wrong with having a choice. When it comes time to replace my gas tank i'm sure as hell glad I have more choices than OEM purple!
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Question,
How do you know when it's time to replace hoses? Silicone will last longer than stock, but my stockers are still working on a 22 yr old bike..... Maybe I'm on borowed time.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

I would just look to see that they're not dry rotting/cracking or leaking anywhere.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
Fletch wrote:Question,
How do you know when it's time to replace hoses? Silicone will last longer than stock, but my stockers are still working on a 22 yr old bike..... Maybe I'm on borowed time.
Yep, look for dry rot, cracking, and whether they still flex or not. My bike still has the original style hoses (I think they are original :shock:) but I wouldn't mind having some purty silicone hoses. :mrgreen: I don't like them enough to pay that price though. :shock:

BTW, typical benefits of high quality silicone hoses are higher heat resistance, better ozone and UV resistance, and sometimes higher burst strength. I don't know how good the ASI stuff is.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I have used silicone hose on different things and they tend to recommend special clamps that won't dig in and cut the softer material as much. Might want to check if the require it with these.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
SCREAM wrote:Radiator hoses perform a function. Whether you want green, blue, purple, or the oem black you're choosing a color. If they need to be replaced whats wrong with having a choice. When it comes time to replace my gas tank i'm sure as hell glad I have more choices than OEM purple!
Yup, agreed.

So, side question. Are you willing to pay 2x for that black tank just because it's not purple? Say the OEM purple one runs you $250, but for just double that price, you can get some nifty aftermarket one, that doesn't do anythng special, but it's black. Is it worth the $500 to ya?

Just poking fun btw... :partyman:
SCREAM

Post by SCREAM »

You're funny
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I know. :mrgreen: