scratch in bore

Got questions? We got answers....
adrien222

Post by adrien222 »

i also broke my piston skirt on my own when i tried to unscrew the crankshaft without removing the piston is the piston size for this bike the 56mm one?
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

your not running that piston now are you??
I'll check the size
well all I can say is that the 56's are in the 80's air cooled 125's so yeah I'll go out on a limb and say that's what you have.

If you can find a machinist who can sleve your old cylinder that may be a local and cheaper way to go. Just worse heat transfer and you'll have to bore it if it scores again. Whereas the nikasil plating is way harder than what you have and will last a long time.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
adrien222

Post by adrien222 »

it would be impossible to use the piston with the skirt broken as it is broken on the exhaust side and it won't be able to open the reed valve so gas wouldn't come through. as much as i would love to replate it... we're on the third world side of things... replating is virtually none existent in the caribbean. so you're saying that the 56mm piston would work? because thats what the seller on ebay claims it would work on. a kdx 125

also here's is a link to the bike looks basically the same... but my bike looks much better. but anyhow from this can you tell the piston size? it does state the bored width.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ ... r%2091.htm
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

looks like the sr model.
I had one like this in the 90's, it had usd fork though.

you can't tell squat from a pic, you need to find the vin # or get a manual for your bike.
you're saying no one does replating in the caribbean, ever heard of mail? Why don't you send it to a us company and be done with it???
http://www.powersealusa.com/prices/ charged me $180 for my replate. most company are in the same price range.
adrien222

Post by adrien222 »

wouldn't trust the post with my life... lost an ipad, iphone, ps3, laptop, xbox, phonesss, psp. so that is $180- plus whatever the piston costs right? so how do you decode the vin number?
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

ebay uk says it's 56mm for the 90's kdx 125. A new piston might buy some time but you need to sleve it (a local could do that ) or replate.
It seems that cylinder is only for that engine, you could try a kx swap though.........
Would a cylinder be that risky in the post, thieves probably wouldn't know what it is!
Fletch
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Fedex it with insurance for the price of a brand new one, that way if it gets stolen or ""lost"" :roll: you get the money to buy a new one or if you're lucky a good used one on ebay.
adrien222

Post by adrien222 »

ebay sound like it could work... but i'm not seeing any kdx 125 cylinders there... it would be alot better to buy a kdx200 engine... would that fit on this chasis?

i am also seeing cylinder sleeves on ebay... what can i do with that?
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

well you go to a good machine shop that does engine work and get them to bore your jug to accept a sleeve then they press it in and go! In your area this may be the best option as it can be done there and you can rebore it later if needed.
Fletch
adrien222

Post by adrien222 »

they definitely don't even oversize bores here... all they can probably do is fix problems in engines which most i can do myself... yes it's that bad...
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

then sending it out to replate is your only option, and it's the best least involved fix.
If i were you I would see about a secure way to ship like scheckaet said and just bite the bullet and try it. Yeah it's a bit of cash but you'll have a rad bike after!
Fletch
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Very cool bike.

A buddy had one very similar years ago. It was a great runner.

It seems your best bet is to find a piston and send the jug out somehow.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
adrien222

Post by adrien222 »

awesome! 2 strokes are real quite... we got quite a bit of mountains here so there extra power is a blessing :-)

so that 56mm piston will work right guys? causes i'm about ready to buy it.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

measure yours. but yes it should fit
Fletch