just picked up a 91 kdx 250 and have many questions

Got questions? We got answers....
kingsnake

just picked up a 91 kdx 250 and have many questions

Post by kingsnake »

Hi all
as the title said I recently picked up a 1991 kdx250... Mechanically the bike is solid and cosmetics are not terrible but I will be re-doing it.
My purpose for the bike is to get it street legal an use it like a KLR650 only more nibble and dirt worthy... Is that a resonable expectation?
What kind od cruising speed is the 250 capable of? and anyone know what kind of milage you get on a tank of fuel?
Also I have looked around and it seem that no one makes a body kit for this bike??? is factory the only option for plastic replacements? Can you convert to 200 Or 220 plastic or any thing like that?

TIA for all the help
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I have mine street legal but I haven't ever really ridden it on the street. I have had it up to 84 mph (GPS verified) and had some throttle left. I would think up to 55 mph cruising shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't really paid that close of attention to my fuel consumption so I can't really help in that respect. Just know that 2T's don't get nearly as good gas mileage as a 4T.

As for plastics, good luck. There isn't any aftermarket parts available and most of the factory stuff is discontinued. 200/220 plastics are a no go.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
kingsnake

Post by kingsnake »

Thanks 84mph is actually faster than I expected out of one of the torquey 2's.. 55 cruising is more than enough to jump one over to the next trail..
as far and the fuel goes I guess its a common idea that the 2T's don't do as well as the 4T's. I'm not sure this really holds water when you compare bikes with the same power... what I mean by this is... my normal trail bike is a 2005 ktm 250sx. I tuned the power valve on it and installed a heavier fly wheel to make it more manageable in the trails, my riding buddy has a 2008 yamaha 450. We seem to use about the same amount of fuel on a ride... IDK could just be those 2 particular bikes though.
looks like I will be painting the original plastics since I cant get replacements.... digital camo here we come :supz: