1980 KDX 175 Spark Arrestor

Got questions? We got answers....
mlyle11

1980 KDX 175 Spark Arrestor

Post by mlyle11 »

Hello again KDX'ers! I am cleaning up the spark arrestor on my wonderful 1980 KDX 175, and just wanted to confirm a few things with those that may be in the know.

Does the arrestor have packing? The stock arrestor appears to have no packing in it, it look like just a network of screens and passages. After 31 years, it is a bit plugged up and and very icky. I had frequent spooge drip from the joint to the pipe, so I decided to pull it out and clean it. It is VERY dirty and full of grit, gunk, spooge, googe, looge, you name it ooge! My wife is very happy with my next decision... 2 hours in the Webber at 500 degrees It smoked, it flamed, it stunk to high hell, it came out just like the oven racks in my vintage GE double oven! Light coat of ash. Now it is super clean and I am ready to reinstall. It truly looks 100% better, but now I'm wondering, did I burn up some packing that was internal to this thing? I could cut it up and put some sort of packing in it, but it really seams to have just been a series of screens/passages.

I am going to put a new o-ring in it and seal it with some high temp RTV. Has anyone else worked on one of these?

Thanks for any comments!
2001 KDX 220, 2001 Gas Gas EC 250, 1980 KDX175, 1979 KZ1300
mlyle11

Spark Arrestor Part Deux

Post by mlyle11 »

It's all back together and working like a charm.

The original does come with packing. It is located in the first section of the baffle, closest to the expansion chamber. There may have been packing in the back section, but getting to this would mean a lot of cutting and reweld. I was able to pull out the first section by twisting on the end cap that only has 2 very small tack weld. The welds that hold the perforated internal pipe snapped and I pulled the packing section right out. See the link below for a rather poor scan and hand mark up of the original print.

The bike sounds better now and has a lot more power. It was really plugged up, makes sense after 30 years. If anyone has questions, let me know.

https://sites.google.com/site/parpro...res-and-videos
2001 KDX 220, 2001 Gas Gas EC 250, 1980 KDX175, 1979 KZ1300